PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Smith

PA39
25th Feb 2007, 09:52
:sad: For those who know him........and there would not be too many who don't, Gordon Smith of Aircrew Check and Training is terminally ill in Armidale (NSW) hospital. Cards, flowers would lift his morale.

An Icon of Australian aviation, a tremendous pilot and a great bloke.

Jamair
25th Feb 2007, 10:12
Did my initial twin and CIR, plus a couple of renewals with Gordon. A rough diamond. Very sad news, will drop him a card ASAP.:(

Bendo
25th Feb 2007, 10:27
More diamond than rough, I thought.

Very sorry to hear it. :(

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
25th Feb 2007, 17:04
Gordon is a great bloke, very sad to hear.

He is a real asset to Australian Aviation.

shnev
25th Feb 2007, 20:36
Ah... Gordy...

Did my ME-CIR with him last year in the twin crunchie at armidale. What a fantastic operation - he was within $1 of quote too!

Only flew with Gordy once (on the test) and would say he's the fairest flying instructor I've ever flown with. Even took the foggles off for a while to give me a 'bit of a break' :ok:

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

I best remember Gordy for drinking 10 cans of pepsi in one day :)

mustafagander
26th Feb 2007, 02:51
Was he a ground instructor at Airtex in the late 80s?

shnev
26th Feb 2007, 03:12
... Just got a phone call from Armidale. It's that cancer again...

Was just told that it's last legs (1 - 2 weeks to live?)... and he's welcoming phone calls. If you want his number PM me.

eternity
26th Feb 2007, 10:39
Gents,

I went and saw Gordy today. He's been in the hospital for the last 10 days.

It's the same cancer that he has been fighting for a while and it's hit him hard. They pumped him full of all sorts of medications so he's sleeping most of the time however he still has his mobile phone with him.

We've seen him sick before but my honest opinion is that this one looks like it'll get him.

If you have the time please give him a call just for a quick yarn, just to let him know that there are many people out there who are thinking of him.

If you need his mob, you can PM me also.

Cheers

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Feb 2007, 11:44
Hey shnev - check ya pm's please.....

Regards.....:ok:

aircabbie
27th Feb 2007, 10:48
Never got to fly With gordy , but he always gave me advise when ever i needed it . An Absolute Gentleman..

Best wishes Mate

Matt:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Feb 2007, 11:50
Many Thanks for the 'heads up' nev.

Spoke to the man today - yeah he remembered all those years ago - early 70's - we were flying for Murchison Air Services then. I was based in PD, Gordon Perth based.
Twas a good old reminisce....will ring again in a few days.

Cheers:ok:

crayfish
28th Feb 2007, 11:04
Very sad news. A gentleman and a wonderful instructor.

shnev
3rd Mar 2007, 23:02
Here's the last time I saw Gordy, smile from ear to ear!! :ok:

http://a169.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/56/l_50dae593a5e6a0adb35cd158375c0158.jpg

top operator
28th Mar 2007, 00:44
Gordon Smith passed away last night, his funeral is next tuesday in Tamworth.
A great bloke will be missed in the industry!

shnev
28th Mar 2007, 01:33
Condolences to all.

- Proud to have his name and signature in my logbook:ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Mar 2007, 05:10
Sincere condolences to Gordon's family, friends, and colleagues.

Ron Griffin.
ex Murchison Air Services. W.A.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Mar 2007, 05:31
shnev,.....please check your pm's....

Regards, and Thanks,
Griffo.

Ben Newman
28th Mar 2007, 05:55
Gordon will be missed by many, including myself. Always someone you could rely on to give you the straight facts. A man of his word, a true honor to have flown with him. You will be missed mate. rip

PA39
28th Mar 2007, 08:30
The only job Gordon ever had was aviation! He lived and breathed the industry. 2 engine failures in singles many years ago left him unfased and even more determined to succeed. In the 25 yrs that i knew him as a mate he had ALWAYS been extremely helpful, considerate, hot tempered but very understanding and a darn good instructor. In the week before his passing he still answered his phone "Aircrew Check and Training Gordon Smith". Gordon was the most positive person in respect to the aviation industry I will ever know, and would never accept doom and gloom. He once told me and i know for a fact that he did, know more about the CAR's and CAO's than anyone in CASA. He had his share of enemies who told stories of whatever, but in our democratic society it was always innocent until proven guilty. Gordon was a great aviator, a great mentor, an absolute icon of the GA Industry and a bloody good bloke. Yes indeed the industry will miss this fellow. I know I will.

Y0SSARIAN
28th Mar 2007, 14:05
To all that knew him Gordon was an inspiration and beacon of hope in an industry too often mired by cynicism and infighting. Gordon shall forever be remembered for his unshakeable commitment to aviation, his intelligence, wit and ability that made him one of this country’s finest instructors.

Gordon’s life was no easy ride, and if it can be said that adversity breeds character then Gordon’s story must sound a chord to those who are or ever have done the hard yards.

Gordon was a born leader, one of the few people I know capable of combining authority with compassion and respect. He was the best boss I ever worked for, a man who valued hard work and loyalty and who could always be relied upon for guidance and advice.

Gordon above all else was a friend whose personality bridged generation gaps and made flying for him a job I will never forget.

The night sky looms still darker tonight
Now that your star has fallen from it.

We will all miss you Gordy,
Condolences to your family, friends and all those that have had the privilege of working with you.

Joe Eakins
Ex CP/CFI
Aircrew Check and Training Australia

j3pipercub
29th Mar 2007, 03:16
Shnev and Eternity,

Couldnt agree with you more, a gentleman and a role model for all the young guys coming into the industry, including myself. I had the rare privilege of doing a huge portion of my flying training at ACATA Armidale and did 4 separate tests/renewals with Gordy. An excellent instructor and ATO.

Where are we going to go now for some common sense in this industry?

Cheers Gordy, my sincere condolences to the family he leaves behind

j3

wrongwayaround
29th Mar 2007, 03:56
I would like to extend my deepest condolences to Gordons family and anyone involved with him.

I also extend my thanks to the people who have posted kind words of Gordy, you've shown extraordinary kindness.

From the first day in his life, he was destined to fly. He was destined to teach. Gordon taught well. He had an amazing way of getting his point across. He accepted everyone for who they were, but he cared more about what his students could and should become. For example, I remember one day doing NDB approaches with Gordy... I just couldn't seem to get it right. I was miserable about it, so he said - "we are going to land now, and have a talk about this." Walking back into the office, I was yelling - "I don't wanna be a pilot anymore, this sucks, I'll never get it"..... So he sat me down and explained what was going on. He said, "[xxxx], you can do this." ...... and I did. :)

What stands out most (which was pointed out before), is that he was always happy - no matter what he was flying... no matter where he was flying. Within all the heat of everyone trying to 'be somewhere better, where the grass is greener' - Gordon, by example, taught that flying in itself is an amazing phenomenon.

When push came to shove, he never thought twice about raising his voice. Example - One of his instructors was teaching me something, by mistake, which went away from company SOPs. When it came time for Gordon to check me out in the aeroplane, he saw what I was doing and gaged that I thought it was right. He screamed into my headset - "Well it's not stupids fault, Chr!st! I might aswell p!ss into wind!"

A spiffing radio voice Gordy had too. Superb stick and rudder skills. Hats off to him for surviving and returning to flying after his engine failures (IN SINGLE ENGINE aeroplanes :ok: ). Above all, and I know this for a fact - he was a dark horse with the ladies :E

It is my greatest legacy to have flown with Gordon. To all of you who knew Gordon, and were trained by him, he will never be so far from you that you cannot still benefit from his teachings. For the sake of aviation - take care and respect each other, as he would want you to. May he live long in our memories.

[withheld]