PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical query...

ShuttleSixYankee
24th Feb 2007, 16:49
If someone was to take an initial Class 1 medical examination, and their eyesight was deemed to be unsuitable, would this result in immediate failure of the Class 1 or would they simply be referred to an Optician for spectacles.

SHT6Y

Speed bird 002
24th Feb 2007, 23:00
It all depends on if your eye sight is outside the limit. If it is then you will be informed and the remaining parts of your examination sould be refunded. Its important to review eye, hearing etc tolerances and take furter steps.

Hope thats helps :ok:

Old Smokey
25th Feb 2007, 14:36
If you have any doubts or concerns, do as hundreds of others do and consult a NON Aviation Medical Examiner first. If He/She recommends that you require glasses to meet the Class 1 standards (easy to find out in advance), obtain the spectacles, and present yourself for the Class 1 medical with them.

Regards,

Old Smokey

Tripster_747
25th Feb 2007, 20:00
Hi everyone!

I recently passed CTC wings cadet selection and I'll soon be doing my initial class 1 medical. I was wondering if anyone knew how "difficult" it is to get through...do many people fail?

Anyone know what the most common cause for failure is (I guess the top cause is eyesight?)?

Is it not uncommon for people that seem completely healthy and fine to be disqualified due to some health issue unknown to them util then?

I will appreciate any comments on these matters. Thanks!

Best regards to all!:ok:

Katherine Alexandra
25th Feb 2007, 20:06
Yeah, the most common reason for failure. However, only c. 1% of those who go for a Class One initial do fail, so you should be ok :)

As far as I can tell, if you're fit and healthy, as long as your eyesight is ok, you are unlikely to find a previously undiagnosed condition! I got very nervous before my intial (2 weeks ago) and asked the same questions, but it was all fine; the staff in the Aeromedical department at Gatwick are really nice and put you completely at ease!

Good luck; you'll be fine!

Tripster_747
25th Feb 2007, 20:38
1% sounds good! :) :)

Eyesight shouldn't be a problem. Since I passed selection and need to do class 1 mediacal I've turned into a paranoid hypochondriac!!:ugh:

Well, for the odd 400GBP (how much is it now?) they charge they should bloody well be nice I should hope!! :)

Thanks for your answer! :ok:

ShuttleSixYankee
25th Feb 2007, 21:58
My question has kind of been answered.
However what I really would like to know is: If one isn't aware that he/she needs spectacles, then takes the Class 1, and the eyesight is below the acceptable level (but would be within the acceptable level with spectacles), would this pass the examination with a referral to an opticians for the appropriate spectacles or would it be a straight failure? (i.e. he/she should have checked their eyes and acquired the necessary spectacles prior to taking the Class 1).

Tamesy1
25th Feb 2007, 22:06
Why not go to your optician first and ask if you meet the standards? Would save you the worry!

Katherine Alexandra
25th Feb 2007, 22:19
Tripster_747,

Mine was £302, I think :)

2close
26th Feb 2007, 12:21
SHT6Y,

From the tone of our post, it seems that you have some doubt yourself.

If that is the case, why put yourself through all the pressure and expense of a CAA Class 1 medical that you fear you may fail when it is a great deal easier to pop down your local opticians with a copy of the JAA Class 1 medical eyesight standards and simply ask them to test whether or not you meet the standards?

Print off the JAA Extended Eye Examination form, from the CAA website, take it with you and ask the optician to test and complete all sections....but ask them to be brutally honest. There is no point in your optician being all namby-pamby if you are marginal and filling you with false hope when the CAA optometrist (who is a top bloke and who genuinely wants you to pass but will be 100% by the book) will tell you the hard truth.

HTH

2close

Scoobster
26th Feb 2007, 13:21
SSY

As 2close mentions it does seem that you have an element of self-doubt regarding your eyesight. Don't forget that your vision will be extensively tested ranging from intra-occular pressure and visual fields to standard vision tests.

Surely, it would be far logical to visit your Optometrist and ask for him/her to give you the once over in accordance with the visual standards ? This will save you unecessary worry and concern, as most Optometrists will be more than happy to give you an impartial opinion.

Remember that it is far wiser to establish that you are medically fit before hand, rather than have the CAA deny you a Class 1 medical and find yourself re-evaluating your outcome at a later stage..

Best of Luck.

Scoobster

ShuttleSixYankee
28th Feb 2007, 18:31
Thanks for the replies. I will print the CAA documentation and ask my local Optician.