PDA

View Full Version : Grade One or not Grade One

junkie
24th Feb 2007, 06:16
Hi
I have been instructing for a couple of years now, building hours with a view of going into the airlines (just like hundreds of others :hmm: ). Ultimately I would like the oppourtunity to become a check and training Captain but I was previously under the impression that one required a Grade One instructor rating with multi engine training approval for that! Could someone please put me out of my misery and let me know what the requirements are?
If I do require the Grade One then out come the books :8 otherwise hello SO application form ;) .

The Bunglerat
24th Feb 2007, 09:10
Be ready to brace yourself for numerous snide remarks from those who'll tell you that instructors are the lowest life-form in aviation, that they're good for nothing but pottering around the circuit with amateurs and weekend warriors, and that without a solid stint in charter flying you can forget any chance of ever flying for the airlines. However it's worth noting that everyone I've ever encountered who bag instructors, invariably lack any instructing experience themselves.

I'm happy to report that all of the above is a load of BS, and whilst I do admit to having a certain amount of charter experience, I'd have to say my flying career up until recently was comprised of probably 20% charter and 80% instructing. Strangely enough it was actually my instructing background that was instrumental in landing me a job with a major airline. However I should clarify that during the four years prior, I was working in the "sharp end" of instructing - teaching multi-engine/IFR, both piston (and pressurised turbine towards the end) for various airline cadet programs. I'm sure if my instructional background had been mostly single-engine, ab-initio and other basic flying activities, it's unlikely I would have got the big break.

So in answer to the question, doing your Grade-1 is definitely worthwhile, but only if you're able to seek out the type of opportunities mentioned above. Otherwise you probably would be better off chasing those twin hours via charter instead.

In the end, I strongly believe that we all end up where we're meant to be - it's more a queston of how we get there...

P.S. As for the requirement to be Grade-1 for airline check-&-training, I recall that there has been some industry discussion regarding eventual changes to the licensing system that will require future check-&-training people to hold an instructor rating of some kind, but I think you'll find it will be a minor formality. There are lots of seasoned veterans with the airlines who didn't hold an instructor rating, but with their industry experience they would have very little trouble getting the relevant paperwork signed off. Tick-in-the-box stuff if you will.

Aerodynamisist
24th Feb 2007, 10:06
junkie If you have the hours and the experience to do the grade 1 then I would go for it, you got to admit it looks better than grade 2 on your resume and you never know where it might take you. my advice is never let a chance go by.

Dashtrash
24th Feb 2007, 10:16
Good comments above.
I agree that my instructing career was a huge help getting to the front seat of the 744. You'll appreciate it in the training stages when the whole process will be completely familiar to you. Don't let people who don't know any different get you down.
As far as the Grade1 goes. If you've got ME training approval/instrument training approval on a grade 2 rating, there's not much more you can do with a G1. BUT in an interview, you might be asked 'so you've had the hours for a G1 for a long time but your still a G2........tell us why? Show them your always pursuing your career. The G1 is not that much work after all.
Good luck

junkie
25th Feb 2007, 07:47
My hours are split 20/80 charter/instructing too, so I guess the Grade One would help me stand out and show that I'm constantly striving to better myself.
Many thanks for the replies. Guess I already knew the answer deep down, just trying to avoid the study. :(

Capt Fathom
25th Feb 2007, 09:56
Ultimately I would like the opportunity to become a check and training Captain but I was previously under the impression that one required a Grade One instructor rating with multi engine training approval for that! Could someone please put me out of my misery and let me know what the requirements are?
I spent 8 years doing Training & Checking for an airline. During my previous career in GA, I never held an Instructors rating of any sort! My instructors training for the airline environment consisted purely of my previous experience in aviation, plus the training & development courses (continuous!) which were provided by the company. It was very satisfying work, but required a lot of hard work & dedication.
What job doesn't?