PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fibreglass 'blister' fairing

John001
23rd Feb 2007, 13:15
Hi all,

I am in the process of trying to obtain (or build) a fiberglass teardrop shaped (in plan view) 'blister' fairing to accomodate a carb. which protrudes slightly above (about 40mm) the deck of the top cowling.

The aircraft is a SF25C 'Falke' motorglider.

I've been unsuccessful in my efforts to track down a supplier of such a part online, could anyone offer any assistance?

Failing being able to buy the fairing or complete top cowling, I'm considering building one myself so if anyone would like to offer some advice on fiberglass techniques I would be very grateful! :)
(I have in mind buliding a plug, forming a mold over that then doing a lay-up inside the mold).

regards

John.

Nipper2
23rd Feb 2007, 22:53
The simple solution (as you only need one) is to make a piece of blue polystyrene foam the right shape. Abrade the original surface back to the GRP and stick the foam on to the outside of your existing cowling where you need it. Laminate 3-4 layers of 200g woven glass over the outside, tapering the overlap onto the original cowling. Fill and fair the new 'blister' with P38 and high-build primer.

Drill a small hole through from the inside of the cowling into the blister. Pour in some acetone or paint thinners and the blue foam all goes away! You can now cut away the original cowling inside the blister with a Dremel or similar. Fill and fair the inside (if you must).

Paint the outside and presto, new cowling with blister. Two evening's work plus painting at most.