PDA

View Full Version : Psychometric Testing

No1Dear
23rd Feb 2007, 08:20
Hi all
Can anyone offer some advice on preparation for psychometric tests?
I believe there is a course which can be completed.
Anyone done it and have a comment on its worth?
What are the best areas, if any, to study
thanks

Farmer 1
23rd Feb 2007, 09:17
I wouldn't worry about it, No1.

I think the idea is that the real you shows through, regardless of what you do, so relax and treat it as a jolly.

As I remember, a pilot is supposed to be a "normal extrovert". I've never heard of anyone not getting a job because of the results of one of these tests, and I've come across some pretty weird characters.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say all the pilots in all the bases I've worked were definitely very odd indeed.

Except me, of course.

VH-Cheer Up
23rd Feb 2007, 09:51
Best preparation is to write down all those messages the voices in your head keep telling you, then type up three copies and hand them to the trick cyclists on test day. It will save them and you a lot of time.

Only kidding! No preparation required... Evrything is just a top-of-mind response.

And any multi-choice, multi-question, tick the box type tests are designed to find you out if you attempt to adopt a different persona on the day, so don't try. Usually the first thing you think of is the right answer.

Victor India
23rd Feb 2007, 17:24
No1Dear,

Some on Pprune would read your post and think you are involved in the conduct of such a course and fishing for some feeling about it from the aviation community. If not - this topic has been done on pprune many times - have a search around on this site (among others) - there are a large number of threads which pop up when searching "psychometric" in this forum alone.

When you refer to Psychometric Testing, I assume (by your "OZ" profile) that you refer to the Qantas Psychometric Testing or similar. I believe Farmer 1 and VH-Cheer Up are either setting you up for failure or have a different idea of what Psychometric Testing involves.

I feel compelled (just in case you really need help) to give you the link to an example of the Qantas Psychometric Testing on the Qantas website:

http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/about/employment/QTests.pdf

Farmer1 and VH-CU offer good advice when saying answer the behavioural questions candidly and honestly. I agree that there isn't much prep that can be done for that area. This is just one of several areas, however, in your typical Psychometric Test. You would benefit greatly by doing lots of preparation in these other areas. How you do that is up to you. Get some help from contacts who have been through themselves or perhaps one of the courses you asked about may be of use.

Doesn't matter how you do it, but don't be fooled into believing you can get through without any serious prep.

Cheers,

VI :)

No1Dear
24th Feb 2007, 09:15
thx for the reply

not fishing, just interested in opinions
seems abit silly that ones success in the testing process is determined by thier completing or not completing a preperation course.
kinda undermines the entire process. (if such a course even exists)

however if it does in fact get one through then why not?

I am more interested in any types of puzzles or mathematical exercises that anyone can recommend which may be useful further to the published practice leaflet

Qantas Queen
24th Feb 2007, 11:33
The cost of some of the preparation courses can be very expensive, as you'll find out if you do a search on PPRuNe. I spoke to someone who did a prep course and they got some good hints and it taught them exactly what was needed to get through numerical, spacial, verbal and diagrammatic reasoning. However I got through the testing using a few books on numerical reasoning and data interpretation, and I hunted round and got some cubes questions from a couple of books also. Once you get used to the psych questions they are straightforward, and buying books will save you a lot of money compared with doing the course. Once you've done a few questions you'll know what your weak areas are, so spend time working on them. To find the right books, I looked at what Qantas have on the website and just looked around for books with similar questions. A trip to a couple of good bookshops should be all the searching you need to do.

And of course as someone said you need to have what they want as far as the behavioural questions go.

Hope this helps

QQ

No1Dear
24th Feb 2007, 23:59
many thanks :)

gooddemon
6th Mar 2007, 03:39
Can anyone tell me where the prep. courses are held. I believe there is one in Melbourne for around $2-3000. If any others the info would be great thanx.

Ejector Pump
7th Mar 2007, 10:12
Psychometric Course…………........”Help score that airline job…...$2-3 000”.
Books on Psychometric testing…..”Help score that airline job……$4-500”.
Internet, local library & mates…….”Help score that airline job…..Price-less”.
Fits the Mastercard advert pretty well.:D (IMHO of course)