PDA

View Full Version : ASIC Renewal

J430
23rd Feb 2007, 05:39
Just in case anyone cares, you cant seem to "[I]RENEW[I]" your ASIC, however to get a new one with some dates on it that are valid for another 2 years.........yep, fill in the pages of stuff, more passport photo's more witnessed by a JP or whatever...............:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: In other words apply all over again!:eek:

Time for a few of us to apply pressure for a more efficient system, its such a waste, and I am sure its possible to reduce it, but it requires some feedback from more than just me.

J:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Feb 2007, 05:53
Could this be because applications will now have to go through the AG's department? (Auscard or whatever they call themselves) Have to build up one's own database, you know!

Got any links?

Letter writing does work! Otherwise, we would have been stuck with two cards and two security checks.

rmcdonal
23rd Feb 2007, 05:57
I would have liked to get a full 2 years out of my ASIC...but alas no joy.:* :hmm:

I wish I was a bureaucrat then I could make money twiddling my thumbs too. :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
23rd Feb 2007, 06:15
I can thoroughly understand why you dodgy buggers need checking every two years!;)

Now for fine upstanding citizens like myself...:*

J430
23rd Feb 2007, 06:48
Howie

That made me laugh..........but I did ask a serious question!!!

Its really quite a joke though.

Wheeler
23rd Feb 2007, 09:39
Mine runs out in May - got just over 12 months on my 2 years!

Do I really have to reapply and go through all of that again - and pay I guess?

Better get started now!

Bloody rediculous!

Whiskey Oscar Golf
23rd Feb 2007, 09:41
I am backing you J430 and while we are at it, if we change jobs and have to hand in our old one. What exactly changes in the 1 day before you apply for a new one and go through the whole thing again. Then you discover it's lost in the backlog of an unnamed federal dept. Can't they just keep your records ?

Capt. Crocodile
23rd Feb 2007, 09:53
This ASIC card business has become a big farce at our expense. Send an e-mail to Mark Vaile, Minister for Transport & Regional Services complaining & asking for a renewal system. If enough of us complain, with an election around the corner they may listen for a change:

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/memfeedback.asp?id=SU5

.....wishful thinking.

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Feb 2007, 10:35
Anyone know what the current delay is from application to re-issue?

No doubt they will bog down again as they wave to renewals comes through!

FTDK:cool:

morno
23rd Feb 2007, 11:38
I've never had my ASIC checked. I also fly from a security controlled aerodrome, yet we're not allowed to walk through the "secure area" while a certain airline (ie. QF) is at the gate, :confused:.

Can someone tell me why I need an ASIC if it doesn't let me into the secure area of an airport??

morno

bilbert
23rd Feb 2007, 15:25
I have a CASA issued ASIC and it doesn't state who I work for. Where did that come from?

Wheeler
23rd Feb 2007, 16:09
My ASIC has been checked a few times usually by a (self-appointed?) over-officious airline baggage/check-in type, guy who just loves the power, at some incredibly terrorist attractive regional airport. Its a bit if a worry if those pricks stop you going to your plane because your ASIC has expired and CASA or whoever take their customary 9 months or so to renew the bloody stoopid thing.

graham lea
23rd Feb 2007, 18:39
Mine expires in April .... so I receive a letter saying to re apply or what??
I have never had anyone ask for it, but tend to wear it when flying to save any problems...

If I don't receive a reply here, I will call CASA Monday and leave a note here as to the suggested procedure.

I don't want to end up spending the winter on some remote island in a detention camp with all the rest of you...

Howard Hughes
23rd Feb 2007, 20:47
I have a CASA issued ASIC and it doesn't state who I work for. Where did that come from?

I have a SACL issued ASIC which also doesn't say where I work, does that mean I am involved in covert ops?;)

J430,

On a serious note, I have held an ASIC ID for around 10 years and since I have held it, each renewal has included a police check, application , etc... Others on here should be able to fill you in on procedures prior. Welcome to the world of professional aviation!

I would agree that there must be a simpler system, at least we don't have to provide finger prints and iris scans YET! :hmm:

Graham Lea,

You probably need to allow 2 months lead in time for a renewal, so get on to it!:ok:

Mongrel Dog
24th Feb 2007, 04:19
Just renewed mine. Time from posting application to receiving the new card was 29 days

foqa
24th Feb 2007, 05:50
When you have an ASIC issued by an employer, the employer's name appears in the white section at the bottom of the ASIC, where CASA is shown on their ASICs.

Bellthorpe
24th Feb 2007, 06:09
It's worth making the point that ASIC applicants, despite paying all that money, and waiting for such a long time, do not get 'security checked'. They get police checked, which is quite different.

Counter-rotation
24th Feb 2007, 07:55
Bellthorpe, can you elaborate?

Guys, send Vaile MP an email. The link's right there (thanks Cap. Croc). It won't take long.

I don't want to hear another word out of anyone who doesn't send an email!!

CR.:ok:

Howard Hughes
24th Feb 2007, 08:02
Aww come on CR, aren't you going to write the email for us too?
Then we can just cut and paste our names in...;)

Capt Wally
24th Feb 2007, 08:20
I have an ASIC up for renewal next month, started the paperwork months ago. Was ammused to read that one has to sign for a police check once again even tho I had done so upon first applying, that's fair enough I guess upon initial issue but one has to ask why another check some years latter, just think in the meantime I might have hijacked a couple of lighties ( yeah merrit in that !!....NOT !) held up a couple of grannies & robbed them of their spare false teeth & even have failed to give way to the right up to some 2 yrs ago !!!.........now it's time to do something about all that !!...............years latter !!!!.........oh well we did elect them right??????
I love the way there's security everwhere at a major airport, accept along the fenceline which I might add is basicly made up of soft cyclone mesh wire & at times hidden by bushes around the perimeter !!

Capt Wally :-)

p.s..............sorry to the 2 grannies above, okay so I was hungry !:)

multime
24th Feb 2007, 08:23
As posted some 12 months ago the price of a so called security check will in future rise and rise.And yet in Casa,s wisdom just spent 3 @ a half months waiting for a medical and had to pay $130-00 for my (assesment).
Not Happy
M:(

morno
24th Feb 2007, 08:25
Just on the topic of security once again.

Would it make everyone feel so much better inside if I told you that those chock lock's that are so commonly used throughout the industry (they're called Chok Lok from memory), I have hacked through and destroyed one using just my leatherman and a metal bar? :}:}

Security device my arse!

Above completed all legitimately of course, after some ******** forgot the key, :hmm:.

morno

OpsNormal
24th Feb 2007, 09:07
Stop thief, leave that chieftain right there..... := Oh, I forgot. You did.;) :oh: :oh:

mirage3
28th Feb 2007, 22:29
The whole ASIC thing is a joke. I recently flew into Mt Isa for fuel and decided to grab a coffee from the cafe while there. I had my ASIC in my pocket while casually walking past a Qantas B737. Not a sole challenged me or my non-pilot passenger. After coffee, I had to reenter the airside via the so-called security gate. The punchcode I was given didn't work. I then noticed that someone had 'black and greasyed' a code onto the Airside Warning Sign. I used that code and presto, the security gate opened for all ASIC and non-ASIC personnel. What a FARCE!!!:confused:

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Mar 2007, 02:05
Mirage

At least you were able to get coffee - which is more than I was able to do the last time I was there (at about 11 am on a Friday).

OpsNormal
1st Mar 2007, 02:13
Pair of slackers the pair of you.

Couldn't walk the extra 50m to score a free cuppa.... Dunno 'bout you city folk.... :}

morno
1st Mar 2007, 03:03
It was probably one of those days where you broke the coffee machine Ops, :}

pilotads
1st Mar 2007, 04:25
Its simple the government doesn't want to have any pilots.

I think howard must have failed he's PPL and has a grudge:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
1st Mar 2007, 05:49
Anyone who held an ANR before Sept 11 (whever f*cking year that was) should be on auto-ASIC and auto-ASIC renewal, unless their name has subsequently appearred on the Interpol database!

Bellthorpe
1st Mar 2007, 06:17
I think howard must have failed he's PPL and has a grudge

Ah, now I understand something else about Howard ... he failed markmanship as well.

criticalmass
1st Mar 2007, 06:30
OK, sent my email to Mark Vaile, my ASIC runs out in Dec 07, I'll start renewal process in Sept 07 and hope I am not too late!

Fhead
1st Mar 2007, 22:50
I remember the s**t fight when everyone first applied for the ASIC and how long it took them and the AVID for that matter. It took them 6 months for my CPL with AVID to get to me and now what good is the AVID. Took me 4 month to get my ASIC, and now everyone is coming up for renewal at the same time what has improved in the system that says the same thing is not going to happen again....:ugh:

Pinky the pilot
1st Mar 2007, 23:54
I applied for an AVID at about the same time as my ASIC application went in. Took about four months for the ASIC to come through but to date have never recieved the AVID or any correspondence about it!

Has anyone ever recieved both?

Magarnagle
2nd Mar 2007, 01:36
Would I be right in saying that the ASIC supersedes the AVID?
That might explain why you didn't get an AVID after receiving your ASIC...

J430
2nd Mar 2007, 05:31
Do ya think they would pick it if I sent in the same photo printed again from last time!!!!!:E I have not changed much in 18 months:}

OK a few more greys maybe......:ooh:

kookabat
2nd Mar 2007, 09:43
now everyone is coming up for renewal at the same time what has improved in the system that says the same thing is not going to happen again....
Nahh they fixed that... by staggering issue times. Some of us got two years, some of us got 13 months!!!
Mine runs out in May 07. I'm starting the application tomorrow:ugh:

bentleg
2nd Sep 2007, 09:22
I have a CASA issued ASIC card that expires Oct 07 - so I better get on with renewal, oops you can't renew, so I'll apply for a fresh one. Where do I go?

CASA quotes $186 (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form639.pdf)
Aviationid Australia quotes $143 (http://www.aviationidaustralia.net.au/PDF%20files/AIDA%20Application%20Form.pdf)

So I won't be going to CASA. Looks like AviationID unless anyone can suggest a better place....... I am located Sydney metro.

Jabawocky
2nd Sep 2007, 11:55
If you are an RAA member its even less I am told, my last one was a CASA $135 a couple of months ago, my renewal came up before the inflation hit!!:hmm:

J