PDA

View Full Version : Briefings for sim eval

cfmoverboost
22nd Feb 2007, 23:36
From what I gather the CX check pilots like to hear clear and thorough briefings for take off, airwork and the approaches for the sim eval. Suggestions?
Also, has anybody completed the eval in the -400 sim?

I'mbatman
23rd Feb 2007, 04:47
When I did my sim ride the guys running the sim said something along the lines of this, "alright, your all setup...youve breifed, etc, all checks done, ready to roll, no need for anything and if you are all set lets go" I didn't brief the t/o and flew the profile as requested.....I'm treading in the pool as we speak.

Good luck

Justinian
23rd Feb 2007, 06:05
CFM...

Here's my opinion. I recently did my sim evaluation, and I was rather suprised at how relaxed everything was. When you sit down (I wasn't really given a choice so obviously the right hand seath was my friend that day, but then again I preped in the RH seat). The check captain did a pannel scan and you just follow, and then like |ambatman said, he goes with that whole "you are setup up ready to go etc" . At that point I said that I would like to quickly brief him on a few thing to which he agreed, and I then proceeded with my briefing which was noth to impress them with, i mean my turboprop briefing with autofeather will not go down well in a 747-200 right?

You have to remember that if you don\t brief him, he is not going to participate in ANYTHING. That means no "1000' to level off" , V1, VR" etc will be called. you might find that if this is the case then you might not perform as well since you are now in a "strange environment". The reaon I say so is because when I flew, the captain called EVERYTHING that I asked for. Localiser, glideslope, 1000 feet calls, the relevant speeds, all because I briefed him accordingly - so ina nut - shell: KISS - Keep is short and simple ...You will have to create your own luck in that sim!!!

Good luck, and shout if you need more!

just:ok:

cfmoverboost
23rd Feb 2007, 11:30
Thanks for the replys. Great info Justinian. I assume you guys were on the -200 sim for the eval. Just hearing these days that the -400 sim is becoming more frequent due to the unavailability of the -200 sim.

Justinian
23rd Feb 2007, 15:32
No worries! As for the sim, I used a -400 sim, but then I had the opportunity to fly a 767 sim as well, which helped with the flap retarction logic, as well as using the conventional speed dial. the 400 sim really only helps with feel and procedure, which I think is the most important part.

Good luck

BillytheKid
23rd Feb 2007, 15:39
Justinian-

I briefed all of those and all I got was V1/R/2. That was it! I was told it was my ride. I guess you got lucky...must of caught them on a good day.

Justinian
23rd Feb 2007, 19:21
Billythekid,

I presume you didn't make the second interview process then. I am very sorry to hear that. You must of course be one of the lucky ones that at least know where you failed as we all know they do not disclose. All i can say is that I briefed on the things I am used to when I pole the 1900, and I managed to get all out of them - localsier, glideslope - the lot. We were told by the evaluators that they don't want to fail you, so they really are on your side.

I hope I didn't open a can of worm for saying that!

Cheers

rjmore
24th Feb 2007, 03:14
I got most of what I asked for but not all of it. As with most things, the evaluators are not robots and are subject to have different styles.

Justinian,

If I am not mistaken I believe Billythekid is awaiting a class date just like me. He gave an honest answer and I sensed a whole lot of attitude in your reply. Just because the sim was different than yours doesn't mean someone failed it.

Justinian
24th Feb 2007, 09:06
RJMore,

Please go and read my first post, and hopefully you'll see that I don't have attitude. I presumed BillthK didn't make it because he said "I was told it was my ride".

I had no intention of showing attitude at all...

rjmore
24th Feb 2007, 22:35
No worries, when I read his post in the context that you did it sounded that way. I think he is saying that they were telling him that it is his ride to make it happen. Email and text has no feel behind it so it can be easily missunderstood.

Congrats on the job! Are you in for FO or SO? See ya at the schoolhouse.

Justinian
25th Feb 2007, 08:43
Yeah you are quite right in saying that. Anyway glad it's sorted out...

Anyway as for me, I am "recruited" as an SO, but I am still waiting for a start date. I went through the selection process in November 2006 so yeah, hope to see you in Aus!

Cheers

:ok:

cfmoverboost
27th Feb 2007, 11:14
another thing........The package Cathay sent me outlined the entire sim session. I keep hearing DEFO's are give engine failures on downwind (but no mention of it in the package) of the last landing. Also, has anybody got anything thrown at them such a hold??

Subwoofer
27th Feb 2007, 12:37
No engine failure or holds for the DESO candidates. The ride is just what the packet says it is. If you have no 747 time, I strongly suggest you go find a simulator, that's what I did and I'm very glad. Also, there is a gouge over at JetThrust with more information, search these or JetThurst forums for more info. Cheers!
Sub

bobmij
27th Feb 2007, 17:57
Anybody know of a 747-200 at a reasonable rate in the UK/Europe for some practice for the Cathay sim ride?

Woof etc
17th Mar 2007, 13:15
Try MK airlines close to Gatwick.

Really helpful people and the rate they offer is very competitive. Sim is a 747-200 with JT9 engines.

Ask for Allan Evans the training manager.

cfmoverboost
19th Mar 2007, 11:34
BTW, just got back from Hong Kong, and forget trying to do anything extra for the sim eval. The assessor I had just wanted me to go, no briefings and he told me exactly what he was going to call out. Nothing more, nothing less.
Although, this could vary from check pilot to check pilot.
Good luck to everyone.