PDA

View Full Version : Trago Mills

bunnywabbit
22nd Feb 2007, 15:15
I went there the other week and in the entrance hung from the roof is an aircraft. Its got a pusher prop and tri under carriage. I went on to g info but the trago they have there is more like a bulldog.I am just interested because it looked such a delightful little plane.If anyone can me more info that would be great.

EGTE
22nd Feb 2007, 18:44
It's the Whittaker MW.2B Excalibur G-BDDX.

Groundloop
23rd Feb 2007, 07:51
They should really have an SAH.1!!

http://www.britishaircraft.co.uk/aircraftpage.php?ID=759

Dash-7 lover
23rd Feb 2007, 21:52
ooooh ''Trago Mills got a great deal happenin....get on down to Trago Mills''
as the radio jingle went for about 20 years!! bloody awful!

Gonzo
23rd Feb 2007, 22:10
Oh, jeez Dash-7, makes me feel so old!

Next you'll be talking about Gus Honeybun and 'Heaven on 97'!!!:p

bunnywabbit
24th Feb 2007, 12:39
Just to say thanks.
I knew there was an aircraft called a Trago,but did not know if it was that one! Shame its hung up in WALMART. Someone from the PFA etc would have been a much better owner!

Talkdownman
24th Feb 2007, 17:27
Help the old man's memory please. About 30 years ago there was a TV presenter called Keith something (Nationwide?) who was involved with an airstrip and aircraft collection at, I thought, Trago Mills. Included his Rallye? Anybody know what I am wittering on about?

stevef
24th Feb 2007, 18:04
Keith Fordyce, Torbay Aircraft Museum, Devon. Long closed.

scooter boy
24th Feb 2007, 18:10
TDM, Trago Mills exists as a couple of (allegedly) budget superstores in Liskeard Cornwall and Newton Abbott, Devon. The most noteworthy thing about the stores is the overt politicisms that litter the place - one would get the impression that the owners are a little bitter about the UK ever having entered the EU - go along and judge for your self! It really is rather funny!
They did try their hand at a little aircraft manufacture though a while ago and if I recall attempted something Slingsby-esque in Cornwall. I don't know if failing to get a military trainer contract had anything to do with their demise, (maybe I have had one pasty too many today) but I recall sombody relating a tall tale to me along these lines.
The "Trago Mills" was an aircraft and they still had a hangar at Bodmin Airfield a couple of years ago.
SB

jabberwok
24th Feb 2007, 18:26
Sounds similar to the NDN1 Firecracker - have you got a crossed wire here?

Gonzo
24th Feb 2007, 19:11
jabberwok,

What scooter boy says is how I hazily remember it. The Trago Mills a/c even displayed at Farnborough one year (86?).

Dan Winterland
25th Feb 2007, 00:20
I flew the SAH1 a couple of times. It was based at the RAF Cranwell Flying club for a while in the mid 80s, presumably because it was anticipated that RAF flying training was rumoured to be contractorised and it was trying to build up a bit of publicity. It had a 112hp Lycoming and the general opinion was that it was a nice aircraft but a bit underpowered. It handled well and flew some very nice aerobatics with it's very powerful controls. One down side to this was that if you applied full aileron, the airflow broke away from it and you could fel a bit of buffet from the wingtips. Also, it was a bit harsh in the spin. A nice aircraft, but maybe not an ideal club aircraft for those brought up on the more benign C152s and PA28s.

I next flew it when the contract was being bit for in the early 90s. FLS aeropspace has planned to use the SAH1 for their bid, by now it had been re-engined with a 160HP Lycoming with a VP Prop. That was a good engine for what was quite a good aircraft. As an instructor at the RAF EFTS, I flew it to offer my opinion. However, the consensus was not in it's favour as the competion (Slingsby Firely, FFA Bravo and Zlin Z242) were better. The SAH1 had the feel of a homebuilt and was too light. It wouldn't have fared well under military training.

Double Zero
27th Feb 2007, 22:51
Trago Mills did indeed make a light aircraft in the '80's, it was a small 2-seat side -by side seating job with a bubble canopy.

I photographed it air-to-air being flown by no less than Neville Duke over Dunsfold when BAe was still trying to give fellow UK aircraft industry people a hand.

That approach, 'U.K.Ltd', was the direct input of ex-Chief Test Pilot, then Airfield Manager at Dunsfold, John Farley.

I think our Operations Manager Mike Oliver, ex-Folland Chief Test Pilot, was also involved in organising our photo-sortie.

I can't imagine such co-operation happening nowadays !

Now it would be nice to post a picture of the little blue aeroplane, wouldn't it ?!

Unfortunately I don't have a copy ( though I'll have a scout around ) and the Dunsfold archive has long since been trashed.

It struck me as a very small light thing for any form of initial military trainer, though the theory that it at least had an eye on that market rings a vague bell.

If I find any pics or more info' I'll get back,

Andy, Photographer BAe Dunsfold 1979-93.