View Full Version : partners living and working in HK

thegirlfriend
22nd Feb 2007, 13:24
Not sure if this is best forum for these questions so please redirect if necessary.
My partner is considering employment by CX and i'd like to know what i need to do/know to A) Make a good impression at the cocktail party B)would it honestly be best to be married before moving there C)Is the pay so unsubstaintial that I will need to work and therefore D) to work there should be married to him and not just his significant other.
There are archived threads from 2000 but just not sure if situation has changed much...from the past threads it seems that the company gives more support if you are married and that to find employment there is easier if you are married before you get there, which my next question is if we weren't married is it still advisable to look for work there before we arrive and then get sponsorship visas because it does still take 6months for work visas to clear once you are there and then find work.....
I also don't know if this will make a difference but we're coming from OZ and I'm dual citizen USA/OZ will this make my visa sitch different/easier???
Thanks in advance

BusyB
22nd Feb 2007, 16:07
Try Fragrant Harbour Wannabees/ Fragrant Harbour Forums and do a search. There are much more recent relevant threads than 2000.
Good Luck.:ok:

AAIGUY
22nd Feb 2007, 18:00
Hi,
with regard to marriage, it will allow you to get a HKID. That is like gold here. You will be able to work under the table without it (for less $$), but since my wife has been "married" in HKG, the job situation has much improved.
Many wives have been unable to get sponsored work visa's without being married. I know a number who have had city hall weddings in town to sort the issue...:E 2 witness' and 1/2 an hr is all you need. Save the big family wedding for another time......