PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with my laptop

FormerFlake
22nd Feb 2007, 12:28
I have a (3 year old) Compaq laptop that is conected up to a Router via a LAN cabable. I also have a Dell Axim PDA conected up via USB to the laptop. Everything has been working very well until I did a windows security update and I lost all internet conections (could access via WiFi and the PDA thoughs o the router is working). So I did a system restore and still had the problem. I can not get WiFi (USB) via the laptop at all and the LAN only work if the PDA is switched off or not in it's dock. I use ZoneAlarm Pro for Firewall and Antivirus.

Any ideas, please keep it simple if possible?

Thankyou

FF

Tarq57
22nd Feb 2007, 21:45
Not 100% sure of this (possible) solution, but the latest update included the WGA notify tool. (I didn't install it). I've read of a user having problems as a result. You could try going in to msconfig, or admin tools services, and disable wga tray.exe from running, see if that helps.

Cypherus
23rd Feb 2007, 08:43
WGA.exe has been flagged recently as causing a problem on some system setups, oddly not all are affected and I have not yet established why, either way manually knocking it out and rebooting has recovered the situation, again for some setups, always a good idea to use the 'custom' option with auto update and research each item a little before allowing the update to commence.

FormerFlake
23rd Feb 2007, 13:21
Thanks guys, I have checked and the wga.exe does not appear to be active.

FormerFlake
13th Mar 2007, 10:08
It has no got worse, I can not access the internet at all. My WIFI conects, the LAN is also plugged in yet still nothing. I have tested my wirelss router using my Wii and it is working. I have tried turning my Firewall off, still nothing. It was working yesterday before work and when I came home it was not. Any ideas please?

Cypherus
13th Mar 2007, 18:32
You don't say the make router your using here, but assuming you connecting using an ethernet cable from your text, try rebooting the router back to default settings, you will need to set it back up again once done and try too connect once again, if it still fails to connect first look at your Laptops current setup as follows:

Open 'SYSTEM' from control panel, click the hardware tab then device manager and scoll down the list too 'NETWORK ADPATER/S' there may be more than one, check if any has a fault, 'Yellow exclamtion mark' if so reinstall the driver, right click, driver tab, update driver'

Reboot, try and connect.

if nothing and the adpater/s are all in order:

Open netwrok connections via the control panel and select your connection from the list, there may be more than one so start with the first item, right click it and select 'STATUS', This will display a page of detals regarding your connection, and the activity of that connection, a slowly building number of packets will tell you if the connection is actualy made and recieving and sending packets, if it reads a very low and static number or zero then the connection is not made, click the 'SUPPORT' tab, there you should see details of the connection IP address, suggest you write that down for later, (Router interface pages)

Next click the repair box once.

A small window will open inroming you of the progress of the repair, if it succeeds, try and connect again, if it fails it will tell you why it has failed to make a repair indicating were you should go next, if it mentions failed to clear ARP cache, do the following.

Click START > RUN to open the intirface window and enter CMD and press enter.

A small black page will open with lines of text, ignore these and at the flashing cursor cut and paste this line of text:

For XP home users:

SCHTASKS /CREATE /SC MINUTE /MO 5 /TN ARPFLUSH /TR C:\WINNT\system32\netsh\interface\ip\delete\arpcache

For XP Pro users:

SCHTASKS /CREATE /SC MINUTE /MO 5 /TN ARPFLUSH /TR C:\Windows\system32\netsh\interface\ip\delete\arpcache

pressing enter to force the command.

This will clear the APR cache of all IP information and cause the computer too continue to clear the cache every five minutes. something it is supposed to do anyway but often fails too causing connection drops and failures.

Reboot after this and try and connect.

If still no connection:

Open Network connections, right click your connetion and select properties, first click eh configure button next too your adapter description and click the power management tab, make sure the option tha allows your computer to 'Turn Off' the adapter is unchecked, click OK once, then reopen the properties page and scroll down the listing too the entry for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' highlight it and then click Properties.

Make sure the radio button for 'Obtain an IP address automatically' has a green dot in it, if not click it once to place on there, all other boxes will then clear and grey out. click OK once on that page, once again on the properties page and reboot and attempt too connect again.

What you will have achieved is the following:

Checked the physical connection between the router and laptop.

Checked and repaired your Adapter/s.

Checked and repaired your TCP/IP protocol.

Stopped your computer from turning of your adapters.

Made sure windows clear the ARP cache at regular intervals.

If you still cannot connect via an ethernet cable, Suspect the Router, either change it for a spare one or replace it. Further information on setting up, repairing and maintaining a network can be found at WWW.WOWN.COM (http://www.WOWN.COM)

FormerFlake
13th Mar 2007, 21:16
Thank you for your detailed reply. Strange thing is when I came home from work all was well??????????????????????????????

Elves????????????????????????

Saab Dastard
14th Mar 2007, 00:14
Elves??

Don't be silly!

Everyone knows it's the wifi fairies wot dun it! :p

SD