PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shop

UN-Coordinated
22nd Feb 2007, 09:49
What would you expect from a Pilot Shop say in a typical African Capital city ? (if there is such a thing).

There are the obvious ones, shirts, epulettes, maps etc, but would you expect to see a comprehensive range of other items, flight bags, headsets, Air Band and GPS Equipment.

If you would expect to see the more expensive items, how much over the European selling prices would you be prepared to pay, or would you prefer to order something thru the shop with a 10 day or so delivery time ?

GULF69
22nd Feb 2007, 14:37
HAVE A LOOK AT

www.flightshop.co.za
www.wingsnthings.co.za

whiskeyflyer
23rd Feb 2007, 14:25
What I want in stores. MAPS (and not just for flying. Local road map required for the rental car) and GPS update download facility.

We expect to pay extra for shipping item to africa but not rip off rates (for electronic goods I work on anything local that is about $100 extra I buy local, as if a problme I can go back to local store) and most pilots/aviation people can quote exchange rate off top of head so don't give the we bought the item at such and such a rate story (I walk when that starts)
If good saving I don't mind waiting two weeks for the item.
For example on Wings & Things website for South Africa the David Clark X11 head set is R8599 but on www.mypilotstore.com the same head set is $749 (i.e. at R7.2/$1 it works out at R5392) so for the sake of waiting a few days guess who is getting my credit card number and DHL account.
I want to support local stores but with that price differental of R3207, forget it.
But the garmin 496 is only about R800 cheaper in usa than rsa so that business stays local.
oh and free in store coffee and massage and........:O

B Sousa
23rd Feb 2007, 15:14
You guys are not asking for much. Consider this. Rent in airports is high and beyond that most stores in airports think they can sqeeze that extra $, Rand or whatever. Usually its a case of I have to have it, therefore heres my wallet.
If you just plan ahead a bit you can avoid it.
As to the Credit Card etc, thats a different ballgame, here in the states its not the same problem. We dont pay for unauthorized use with reasonable behavior in purchasing products.
Lots of places to shop on line. I know everytime I come to SA I bring over new WAC charts as they about half the price.
I have been into those stores that Gulf mentions. They are very nice and have the appropriate things that I would look for in a "Pilot Shop" but the prices are out of touch with reality.
I do think a lot of that price has to do with "Sole Importers" for certain products. That is to say that if a store wants to purchase brand name things from the states they must go through "The" person who has the contract in SA. As an example, I can get Zippos here for the average of R70-100. Not going to happen in SA. Could be true for Pilot things as David Clark, Garmin etc.

UN-Coordinated
24th Feb 2007, 08:49
Thanks for the input, but I see you all talk about SA and what it has to offer. What about a Pilot Shop say in Kinshasa.

We can all order online, but is there any value in being able to actually see what you are getting before you hand over your hard earned cash ?

Obviously to maximize profit margins you would have to buy wholesale to sell retail, otherwise you have to buy retail and sell retail + profit margin, which always makes you look like a rip off shop.

I guess to be viable you would need to appeal to not only the professional pilot, but to a wider audience. Offering numerous gadgets, toys (plane models), Flight Sim software, T-Shirts and even flying lessons, so maybe an airport based location is not ideal, rather a mall / shopping area.

B Sousa
24th Feb 2007, 15:49
"I see you all talk about SA and what it has to offer. What about a Pilot Shop say in Kinshasa. "

As to what I know there is SA and then theres the rest of Africa. All the rules change north of the border.
What is the demand there, they would have to get paying customers threw the door enough to pay the rent, "fees" and a profit.....Only folks up there would know.
If its a busy airport and plenty of money goes through, Im guessing that kiddies could make enough noise to get parents to purchase toys??
Me, I like a Pilot shop with Pilot toys.

unmanned
25th Feb 2007, 12:17
Have you ever been to Kinshasa? Sorry but i think you will fall pregnant before you open a shop there. Try get some doors on the terminal building as a start, or find a toilet that has flushed in the last 5 years. You cant even bye a Coke there!!

Pilot shops in SA struggle, really think you are wasting energy even thinking about it.

Good luck but that is darkest Africa, as some one mentioned north of thr border you are :mad: against thunder!!!!!

B Sousa
25th Feb 2007, 14:43
Kinshasa to me is a spot on the Video GPS that I pass over occasionly while sipping Bombay Saphire and Tonic on my way North or South. I sip this stuff in hopes that we dont have to land there enroute.

UN-Coordinated
27th Feb 2007, 15:19
OK Kinshasa was a bad example.

But how about all the boys in Lagos - there are plenty of them on this site.

What would you expect or want from a Pilot Shop in Lagos ??

Or would you prefer to just wait till your pals got back from a trip to Europe ??

B Sousa
27th Feb 2007, 15:34
UN-C Are you looking to start a shop? You dont seem convinced that its a questionable investment.
Im Betting mind you, that most of those folks, either do as you mention or get it themselves in other places.

Lets hear from those with their feet on the ground.