PDA

View Full Version : Chinook on the Heli Lanes

221B
22nd Feb 2007, 06:33
Apparently there was a Chinook on the Heli Lanes this mornong - does anyone know what it was up to?

Flying Lawyer
22nd Feb 2007, 06:40
Going somewhere?

Gus T Breeze
22nd Feb 2007, 08:26
Am I missing something here..........? A helicopter flying the heli lanes...... go figure!

AlanM
22nd Feb 2007, 08:40
I am losing the will to live :ugh:

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2007, 08:57
Y'know, that's funny 'cos I saw a Chinnook going over Dereham yesterday evening and I also wondered where it was going!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
22nd Feb 2007, 09:11
Alan,

You might have said it was up to the Standard Operating Altitude and not above. :)

AlanM
22nd Feb 2007, 10:32
SHOCK HORROR!

Just seen a Griffin AND then a Twin Tub over my house!

What is going on? Wasn't even on a helilane! :)

Such is life, living east of Field 46 :ok:

(Hey ShyT - at least they have mastered staying ON the routes!)

teeteringhead
22nd Feb 2007, 11:15
Got a bit of stick once for not getting a Chinook to fly down the heli-lanes....

... many moons ago when I was working in the MoD in Whitehall, I was arranging a farewell drinks do for a departing colleague. Twas a good summer, so the plan was for the drinks to be had on the roof! (This was not that unusual ..... it was the old "Air Ministry Roof" that used to belong to the met men.)

As departing mate had been a Chinnok driver, I thought it would be a good wheeze to see if there was any chance that any Wokkas might be transitting the heli-lanes at the time. ;) The view was fantastic at the best of times, but would have been improved by a Chinny or two.....

So I 'phoned another mate who ran a Chinook outfit at the secret helicopter base in Hampshire, to see if anything was around at the time.....

Hampshire mate (who was a gung-ho sort of fellow) wasn't there; I didn't leave a message and thought that was that ......

Until I heard that gung-ho matey had heard that MoD had 'phoned, and was convinced that he was required to invade some obscure part of the Balkans .... which, to be fair, we were doing a bit of at the time.....

.....cue cancellation of leave, packing bags, prep of airframes in Hampshire etc etc (I did say he was gung-ho) until some very senior officers asked some very embarrassing questions...... without coffee! :(

But the drinks party was still pretty good......:ok:

Teefor Gage
22nd Feb 2007, 11:37
Just what was that Chinook doing in the Heli Lanes this morning?

Answers please on the back of a 5 pound note to:-

Paul Myplod
The Ministry of Silly Walks
Somewhere over the Rainbow
Way up high.......

OK. So I guess I've answered my own question.........

SilsoeSid
22nd Feb 2007, 11:42
221B Apparently there was a Chinook on the Heli Lanes this mornong - does anyone know what it was up to?
I think the clue may be in the initial post!!
Is that a cross between a moron and a mong? :p

By the way, it wasn't the new airlink was it?
http://avia.russian.ee/foto/bvertol_chinook-s.gif

chevvron
22nd Feb 2007, 13:59
Speaking as someone who lives 1/2 mile from H3, I can vouch for the fact that there was a Chinook on it this am, and yesterday, and the day before etc etc

verticalhold
22nd Feb 2007, 15:28
I made it up H10 yesterday without getting lost. Surely thats far more unusual:ok:

AlanM
22nd Feb 2007, 16:07
Yes VH, but you asked for H3!!!:cool:

Rushes
22nd Feb 2007, 16:07
Surely not Vertical Hold, that just sounds like crazy talk...... How do you do it?! :ok:

verticalhold
22nd Feb 2007, 16:11
Passengers even more relieved than me. Aircraft stayed the right way up and intact throughout:D

Rushes
22nd Feb 2007, 16:15
Vertical Hold, Im sure Alan M and colleagues would appreciate the passing of your know how onto others..... eh AL !!

:ok:

Impress to inflate
22nd Feb 2007, 16:57
Saw a Puma over Aberdeen today and the day before, any answers ? Please let me know. Chinooks over London, Pumas over Aberdeen, whats the world coming to.

sss
22nd Feb 2007, 17:21
are we at war?

quick get Lance Corporal Jack Jones and we will show the fuzzy wuzzies "they do not like it up 'em"

md 600 driver
22nd Feb 2007, 17:46
dont tell them your name pike

170'
22nd Feb 2007, 18:09
What a tragic thread!

A PPL write that he's heard/seen/heard of, a chinook on the London heli-lanes, and asks about it?. He's obviously unfamiliar with the frequency of the event.

Then you guys to attempt to humiliate him!

WTF?...Does it somehow make you feel better?

170'

AlanM
22nd Feb 2007, 18:16
170'

Good to see the traditional French sense of humour firing on all cyclinders!!!

It's called banter.

And the topic starter has now posted only the 2nd most tragic comment on here :D ;)

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Feb 2007, 19:09
Aaah! If only it were Alpha Charlie!

mountjoy
22nd Feb 2007, 22:29
Ask choppergod, he seems to have all the answers. :D

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2007, 22:37
Ask choppergod, he seems to have all the answers.

Which choppergod? There is 9 year old choppergod and his younger brother choppergod. aged 8 (with a full stop).

Cheers

Whirls

mountjoy
22nd Feb 2007, 23:03
When someone is that great, there are always imposters ! Maybe it was he/she/it flying ?

Hummingfrog
22nd Feb 2007, 23:24
Ah I love the banter.
This thread reminds me of a time in the 70s when formations weren't allowed down the helilanes. We were returning, in our Wessexes, from a 2 week exercise in Germany and keen to get home to the airfield called O*****as it was now dark.

It was either go round the south of the zone or through the lanes. So No 1 squawked and chatted with ATC while nos 2 and 3, with lights out, got as close as possible to form one blob on the radar. Worked a treat.

Lucky there were no Pruners around then to ask questions about 3 rotor helicopters flying down the lanes at night:E

HF

mylesdw
23rd Feb 2007, 01:52
Hummingfrog: Enjoyed your story a lot! Can you explain the secrecy thing about the 'O' place in Hampshire? I went to boarding school near there in the 70s and have powerful memories of you folk whirring overhead late at night and in all weathers.

Darren999
23rd Feb 2007, 02:52
They don't like it up em! Sir

Flying Lawyer
23rd Feb 2007, 05:58
mylesdw

He could tell you,
but then he'd have to kill you.

Head Turner
23rd Feb 2007, 09:29
The world is getting all mixed up - animals are flying all over the place and birds are expected to be caged?
Squirrels, Pumas, Gazelles, Lynx and even Chinooks (whatever kind of animal that might be) have evolved into birds and birds have evolved onto desireable objects. It's global warming or is it some fiendish CIA plot?

teeteringhead
23rd Feb 2007, 09:58
Chinooks (whatever kind of animal that might be) ... not an animal (unlike some of the people who fly them....)

...... could be a wind or a native American tribe ..... ISTR it means "snow eater" or similar.....

[Edited to add:] ... of course in the rotary context it's the tribe, conforming to the US Army (?) idea of calling their helos after tribes, from the Sioux (B-47) onwards....

helidriver
23rd Feb 2007, 13:01
I saw it, at about 0920hrs, do 3 orbits over Hungerford Bridge, near MOD. Saw crewman with map at side door, look lost to me! Gutted, I didn't get the tail number.....:\

Come on boys tell the truth, please don't pretend you were being messed about, I mean held, by City Airport.....?;)

AlanM
23rd Feb 2007, 15:42
You can always tell who is paying for the flight....

Anything Starspeed/PremiAir/Air Harrods etc approaching from the BPK area.....

ATC: "Would you like a direct routeing??"
Pilot: "ooh yes please - saves me holding"

Compared with anything "Vortex"

ATC: "Can offer you direct Battersea to save holding at the Lea Valley and then IOD"
Pilot: "Nah - we are quite happy spending the next 50 minutes getting to Bagshot.... and we are happy at 700ft"

Lucky buggers!! :) :ok: :D

chevvron
23rd Feb 2007, 16:52
But if it's a certain EC155 out of Blackbushe, he wouldn't care about money would he.

AlanM
23rd Feb 2007, 16:58
But he doesn't "do" late! Virtually Cat A for us (the things we do for tickets at the Bridge!!!!! (you know - the only real team in W London))

Oh - and only real teams are left in the FA Cup mate!
Yr fave Janner. :ok:

chevvron
23rd Feb 2007, 19:08
We wuz robbed; ref was definitely biased - I was there and saw it, but my other team will play that certain West London team on sunday, and who knows what might happen.
PS I got tickets at the Bridge no problem, and we drew!!(15,000 Volz)

AlanM
23rd Feb 2007, 19:39
You're right chevvers...... 0-4 is a robbin' (or is that drubbin'?!?!!)

Had no idea you were a pseudo yid....... respect. (Or is it just teams in white you like?!!?) :ok: :D

MD900 Explorer
24th Feb 2007, 08:35
Head Turner

You are forgetting the Colibri and Dauphin. The zoo wouldn't be complete without all the animals now would they? :E

MD :ok:

Flying Lawyer
24th Feb 2007, 09:06
... not an animal (unlike some of the people who fly them....)

Maybe not an animal, but it is a fish.
It's the largest salmon native to the Pacific coast of North America, and is Alaska's state fish.

FL

verticalhold
26th Feb 2007, 08:29
Rushes;

Sorry for the delay, three days in sunny climes called.

H10 east of Cookham and west of Iver my brain farts and reverts to the first time I flew that route alone on a public transport job.

I got a humungous b******ing off 119.0 for getting lost on the route. I then got summoned to the tower at Batts for another. By the time I got back down again to collect the pax for the next leg to Royal Ascot they were on the phone to the company questioning my competence, qualifications and ancestry.

Arrived at Ascot very flustered, everyone knew the scale of my f:mad: up and the company never used me again:{

Takes a long time to live one like that down.

Rushes
26th Feb 2007, 12:11
Congrats VH, sounds like you had to work hard to achieve that:D

All the best,

Rushes:ok: