PDA

View Full Version : A bit rich...

harrogate
22nd Feb 2007, 00:03
http://www.virginblue.com.au/about_us/news/index.php?co=vb&artdate=022007#news120207

I know Virgin Blue isn't all Branson Branson Branson, but I find this whinge a bit rich, to be honest, for various reasons.

Also, having spent the last 6 months jetting around all over Australia as a out-and-out tourist, I've noticed that Virgin Blue is increasingly quite a lot more expensive than Jetstar. Virgin service the routes better in terms of frequency, but they're drifting well away with the fares. Well away. It was a bit of a hot topic of discussion at my hotel a few nights ago - lots of local people have noticed the Virgin fares creeping up. Jetstar fares seem to be coming down and are quite often fixed.

Virgin's clearly scared of Tiger Airways, but I think it needs to be more worried about Qantas' Jetstar, which purely from a customer's point of view, seems to be getting it's **** in order.

Ultralights
22nd Feb 2007, 06:15
flying regularly in OZ, i have found J* to be more expensive than Virgin, dont forget J* advertise their prices without all the hidden jetstar charges, taxes and levies, whereas virgin advertise the full price with all extra charges.. eg, Syd to Adl, Virgin advertise $128 Jetstar advertise $89. but after going to make the booking, and after all taxes fees and levies are added, the jetstar price is almost identical to the Virgin price more often than not just a bit more. and i refuse to fly jetstar by choice... business class would be my preferd option, but sadly there ar no full service carriers left in OZ....:mad:

BHMvictim
22nd Feb 2007, 09:20
dont forget J* advertise their prices without all the hidden jetstar charges, taxes and levies

I believe this is illegal. Jetstar wouldn't be doing this.

MELKBQF
22nd Feb 2007, 10:23
JQ QF and DJ all have inclusive prices on domestic flights, have had for a couple of years now.

harrogate
22nd Feb 2007, 22:41
Yes - the price they quote is the price you pay. And note, I did say this is a recent change. I found myself flying Virgin Blue a hell of a lot when I first arrived here, but now it's Jetstar 90$ of the time.

I'm flying a lot and my choice is nearly always based on cost alone, such is my budget.

Jetstar are cheaper, which is a shame because I have a lot more fun flying with Virgin Blue as it's more informal, but that's not a good enough reason to pay more.