PDA

View Full Version : Florida - Bahamas in Rental Plane

BlueWhiteSky
21st Feb 2007, 17:05
Hello Aviators,
to support my holiday planning
I' am looking for information on aircraft rentals in florida to do a one or two day trip to the bahamas. Multi engine aircraft i.e Seminole, Dutchess, Seneca ... prefered.
I know that most of the flight schools in florida rent out planes for that reason but Multis are hard to find.
Links to travel reports and experiences good or bad with flight schools, Customs, Immigration or other with the trip associated services are highly appreciated.
Thanks

S-Works
21st Feb 2007, 17:45
Unless you have an IR and a lot of Multi time and are well known to a school you have no chance of hiring a twin. I have flown with the same organisation for 5 years, have an Instructor rating, IR over 500hrs Multi time and have only recently managed to get private hire on Seneca. The insurance cost is crippling and the FBO's just don't want to run the risk. The same goes for being allowed to fly accross to thye Bahamas most of the FBO's are vrey reluctant to allow it. If you have some time under your belt and IR then you are in with a much better chance.

If you do manage to do it the trip is worth the effort and one of the real highlights of flying over there.

If you manage to find anything and do the trip please share it with us!

421C
21st Feb 2007, 18:36
I did this recently from Tamiami KTMB to Exuma for a weekend.

1. Renting singles
Fairly easy. The most restrictive school wanted 5hrs flight with them before you took the plane away for an overnight and a Bahamas checkout. School I used (Dean International at KTMB) needed only a normal rental checkout BFR-style.

2. Renting a twin
Harder as Bose says. The following school www.amfly.com (http://www.amfly.com) has both a Seneca 1 and a Seneca 5 for rent and are not too restrictive, IIRC 250hrs TT and 25hrs on type. Might be worth googling twins for hire in the miami area

3. US Customs
Outbound, nothing.
Returning you must
- notify them by phone at least 1hr before arrival
- file your flight plan with the US FSS from the bahamas and get a squawk before departure
- arrive at a customs apt of entry and taxi straight to customs

Process is easy and customs are friendly if you follow the rules. The school can brief you on things like what time customs are open and which customs phone #s to have. But not phoning in advance can get you into big trouble.

4. Bahamas
There is a book called the Pilot's Guide to the Bahamas and Caribbean which has all you need. Just need to watch for airport hours, night restrictions, customs hours, fuel by cash only type stuff.

gazman21
21st Feb 2007, 18:48
I did this trip last year,and I still have great memories of it! Took C172 from Dean @ Tamiami for 2 weeks.

Tamiami - Key West - Freeport - Provo (Turks & Caicos) - Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) - San Juan,Puerto Rico - Spanish Virgin Islands , then back to Georgetown Exuma followed by a day of island hoping all around the Bahamas.

Pm me for any info regarding flying in the Bahamas, couple of minor things that could nip u in the ass if you dont do your homework

gazman21

B2N2
21st Feb 2007, 18:52
Really depends on how much experience you have and what your destinations will be.
FBO's or flight schools will be hesitant to rent if your destination has no; tie-downs, facilities, short runways etc etc etc.
That pretty much leaves the larger islands.
The following website has a lot of info about flying to the Bahama's;
http://fly-bahamas.com/content.aspx?page=home
Including short video clips form VFR approaches into the various islands.
Most of the info on it is free without the need to register.

From the AMFLY website:
"All prices are wet (fuel included), except Seneca I and III (d=dry rate)"
Seneca I N4546T 179/d(ry)
Seneca III N8401H 268/d(ry)
So you probably need to add about $80/hr in fuel cost.

BlueWhiteSky
21st Feb 2007, 19:41
Thank you all

Licence and flight time should not be the factor I hold unrestricted FAA Commercial SE ME IR and JAA frozen ATP total time ~2500 therof 700 King Air 1000 A320 rest SE. Maybe the time in type requirement kicks me out for a twin only 20-25 h in Seneca 1 and 3 and that years ago.
Does anybody have bad experience with Immigration on the return to the US from the Bahamas regarding visa? I will travel to the US by Airline and enter on the visa waiver programm. Can I leave the US on Private means and reenter without a visa?

B2N2
21st Feb 2007, 22:01
Yes you can.
Just bring the I-94 (little stub of the green visa waiver entry form) with you and your return ticket back to Germany.
They need to see evidence that you intend to leave the country again.