PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Viking livery

wwrsimon
21st Feb 2007, 11:42
Hi all, me again....

I'm after info about the livery carried by Aer Lingus' Vickers Vikings. The planes carried a stripe along the fuselage, which was outlined by a narrow stripe in a lighter colour. I assume the main stripe was dark green, but wondered what colour the lighter outline stripe was? Light green, light blue, orange??

Pic here:

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac5/ROW%20Europe/EI-ADG.html

Any help most gratefully accepted!

Simon

wwrsimon
2nd Mar 2007, 12:52
So I guess no one knows then. I've written to Aer Lingus, and even THEY don't know! Ho hum...

the dean
2nd Mar 2007, 14:04
hi wwrsimon,

can't say i ever saw the aircraft type but i recall travelling as a child on the DC 3 and as far as i recall i was dark green band inside with light green thin stripes both sides of the dark band...and my dad thinks likewise....

certainly to my certain recollection it was neither blue nor orange...

hope that is correct and some help...

the dean.

wwrsimon
2nd Mar 2007, 14:25
Thanks for that Dean.

I have been told that the DC-3 livery was different to the Viking livery, but the person who said that wasn't 100% sure. Light green would seem a logical choice, bearing in mind the later 2-tone green liveries as used at various times, but then again, so would light blue using that logic. Then again I also have a postcard of their DH Dragon 'Iolar' which has a green stripe and an orange stripe. It's all very confusing!

Kitbag
2nd Mar 2007, 14:52
You may find the answer in this book: http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=4711, maybe your local library could get a copy?

wwrsimon
2nd Mar 2007, 15:44
Only a black and white shot in there unfortunately, and nothing in the text, except how unpopular they were with Aer Lingus!

irishair2001
3rd Mar 2007, 18:38
That thin stripe you are refering to ,was yellow,when the aircraft were sold on to Misrair,they used the same livery and just added their titles,a colour photo shows a Misrair viking with the Aerlingus 2 green stripes on the tail and the green cheat line trimmed with yellow,these thin lines were refered to as coach lines.

Regards Brendan O'Neill

wwrsimon
5th Mar 2007, 10:40
Brendan

Any chance we could see this photo? Sounds like an interesting one. The only shot of a Misrair ex-Aer Lingus plane I've seen (on the back cover of the TAHS book) show a dark green pinstripe added to the old Aer Lingus cheatline and tail stripes.

Simon