PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Job Market

bayou06
20th Feb 2007, 14:41
I'm considering pursuing some jobs in Cananda, but I really can't seem to find too much info on the wages most offer.

Could a few of you in the know let me know what the different helicopter segiments are averaging for wages. I'm just trying to get an idea if it is worth it to go North for a season or two.

Thanks

murdock
20th Feb 2007, 15:07
It all depends on which area of operations you want to work in and your experience level.

Its split into full time people and contractors obviously, and wages will be quite different depending on which you choose. Most full time pilots get a basic monthly wage and then an hourly wage for every revenue flight. The majority of the operators work you on a rotation of 3-6 weeks on with 1 -2 weeks off. You will also get a daily per diem and allowance.

Contractors usually negotiate a daily minimum hourly rate, and just get paid by the hour, and also their per diems and allowances. But each company has a different way about it. You get a bit more control and freedom for your time on and off as a contractor, but of course in theory when things are slow, contractors arent supposed to get called in for work. But these days up there, things are never slow. Even the winters are getting busier. There are a few other places that do a 2 on and 2 off system. But like I said - just depends on where you want to work and what experience you have to offer.

To be blunt - if you arent too lucky getting on fires and get slow work, and experience will again dictate how much you get to fly sometimes, you might make about CDN$30-50,000 for a season. Otherwise if you do well its not unheard of to make about $130,000 for a season. You are welcome to PM me if you want some specific details on things and I have no idea what the deal is if you are an American coming to Canada to work - whether you need a work permit or anything, but I would imagine you would.

Good luck!

remote hook
20th Feb 2007, 16:29
Smok'in.
That's the word for it right now - IF you have experience. I've had three unsolicited emails from companies in the past three weeks inquiring as to my availability, and I know several friends who are experiencing the same thing.
As Murdoch says, it all depends where you go, what type of machines you're on, and what type of specialty work you can do.(Mtns, Long Line, Arctic, Mediums etc etc) The wages seems to vary a whole lot, depending on the company and the negotiating skills of the pilot.
If you're looking at Full Time work, it's still a bit of a process to find an employer that will work for you, your lifestyle, and your prefered location. Contract seems good all around as you'll negotiate Daily Mins and it's all about the $.
Good luck
RH

Enzo...TMBPITC
20th Feb 2007, 22:29
In terms of 'experienced' operators, can you please provide your idea of what operators are after on average. And if one does not have a lot of long line experience, is it hard to break into the market?

Also, what is the situation with flying in Canada with respect to having completed a Mountain Course? Is it mandatory to complete or is that some operators require it and others don't?

Appreciate your help guys. Cheers!

Fun Police
20th Feb 2007, 22:45
the ability to longline is probably one of the greatest assets you could bring if you want to break into the canadian market.
as far as numbers go, i think that 1000 hrs is the magic one for many customers.
the mountain course is required to work for BC Forestry (and maybe alberta now, too) but can be waived with a letter from your company stating that you have the experience and ability to work in the mountains. that is not to say that there are no jobs elsewhere (in the flats or mildly hilly areas ie east of the rockies or northern regions).

TFour
21st Feb 2007, 04:58
How would an Australian with 3500hrs app bush exp and AS350 longline exp go.

kjw57
21st Feb 2007, 05:04
Plenty of work, all over the country if mountains aren't your thing. As mentioned L.Line time is a benefit but not necessary. Required skills fires, seismic, mining, drill moves, logging, logging support,game capture & just flying people and stuff around plus a few other such as torpedo recovery, bomb detection, prunning, bird towing... your get the idea.
Contract rates vary but you should be able to rope in a guarantee of 300 - 400 hrs. for 5-6 months work at whatever rate you can get.

lights 125.00/hr +
intermediates 150.00/hr. +
mediums 175.00/hrs +

times are good right now but when they are slow it generally sucks.