PDA

View Full Version : Yangtze River Express

WallyBallbearing
20th Feb 2007, 06:15
Howdy All:

I need some information on Yangtze River Express (ie. Managment, Living Conditions, Cost of Living in Shanghai) Is this a good company to work for? Also, if anyone has information on the Chinese CAAC exam. I have about 600 sample questions but hear its more like 8000! Is this right?

Thanks.

2RR's
20th Feb 2007, 08:56
Hi!

For more detailed information check the forum 'Chinese written test' (below on the list). If you have 600 absolutely different questions, it should be ok. If you fail the test you may come back for re-examination after 30 days.

It is much more important to have the correct ATP study book:

'The Aviation Theory Course for Airline Transport Pilot' - compiled by Li Weidong, Hao Jingsong and He Qiuzhao. Printed by the Southwest Jiaotong Universoty Press in Chengdu, China. ISBN 7-81057-835-9/V.022

Make sure you get the English version! It's easy to read, has about 310 pages with many illustrations. It is important to study each paragraph very carefully since the book is designed exclusively as exam preparation.

Housing (should be paid by the company.....): from USD 200/month to USD 10000/month depending on your lifestyle requirements. For a fully serviced one bedroom apartment (living room, bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom - about 60sqm) you'll have to pay about USD 1000/month. Sat-TV, Internet, Gym, room service twice a week included.

Good luck!

sky_is_the_limit
21st Feb 2007, 03:19
2RR's DO YOU KNOW WHERE THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE TO ORDER/ TO BUY ONLINE IN OR OUTSIDE OF CHINA?
SO IF I STUDY THE ABOVE MENTIONED BOOK AND THE 2000+ QUESTIONS I HAVE A BIG CHANCE TO PASS THE EXAMS?
PM WITH MORE INFO 2 RR's- THANKS
OFF THE TOPIC: HOW IS SHANGHAI AS A CITY TO LIVE IN?
POLUTTION-COST OF LIVING-TAX-TRAFFIC-NIGHT LIFE-LANGUAGE PROBLEMS? ALL INFO IS APPRECIATED
SKY!

WallyBallbearing
23rd Feb 2007, 00:25
Thanks for the info 2RR's. One last question:

Does the Yangtze River have any rules for where you live, or how far from the airport, anything like that?

Thanks

jetjockey696
23rd Feb 2007, 06:52
Hi Guys

One simple question....How do you apply for a pilot position...who do I write to. The company's HR email etc.

Thanks

JJ696

2RR's
24th Feb 2007, 08:56
Hi Sky!

I got the book from Airbus, but this is not the normal way. I searched the internet and just before I gave up, I found it:

Try the following link

http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=3703

If this link doesn't open, go to Google and enter:

Li Weidong Hao Jingsong He Qi zhao

http://www.hceis.com/bookpic/the-aviation-theory-course-.gif (http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=3703#)

The Aviation Theory Course for Airline Transport Pilot航线飞行员航空理论教程</B>In EnglishLi Weidong, Hao Jingsong and He Qiuzhao / 2004 / 185*260 mm319 pages / Paperback US$34.00
Chapter 1 regulations
Chapter 2 equipment,navigation and facilities
Chapter 3 aerodynamics
Chapter 4 performance
Chapter 5 weight and balance
Chapter 6 flight operations
Chapter 7 emergency ,physiology and crew resource management
Chapter 8 aviation meteorology

This book and 2000 Q's should do it easily. Train on graphs and on loadsheets. It is easy to answer these specific questions but it can be very time consuming. Answer all other questions first before you answer these.

Usually before the exam you will have to pass an english test. It takes about 2,5 hrs in front of a computer and it consist of three parts. First part: analyze situations and sort icons in the right order. Part 2: Words and partial sentences have been removed from book sections (eg maintenance manual B767). You have to find the correct fillings among several choices (can be quite tricky). Part 3: Simulated ATC conversation including an emergency situation. You communicate with your computer through a headset. Sometimes difficult to understand. to take notes have a pen and a piece of paper ready!! When answering speak slowly, clearly and, if possible, without accent or slang.

Shanghai:
City: Large. Very large. But very clean, lots of trees and parks. Many people call it 'New York of Asia'
Traffic: like in every big city. Outside rush hours no problem. They have a very unique way of driving, who comes first has the right of way. No matter if it is a bus or a bike, no matter if the traffic light is red or green. Never ride a bike or a motorbike by yourself during the first couple of months. Better: never.
Pollution: Yes. But ok. There are almost no 2-stroke-engines left any more and many motorbikes are driven by electric motors.
Taxi: Cheap. USD 25 to go from one end to the other (60km). Normal taxi rides downtown: USD 2 - 5
Cost: Without housing you should easily be able to spend less than USD 500/month for food and drinks, taxi, laundry, internet, cellphone, etc.
If you stay in classic Chinese areas, markets and restaurants, prices are about 80% below western level. In areas where many expats live, prices are about 30-50% below western level.
People: normally very friendly and helful. Sometimes you can see strange behaviour or people are turning away from you: they are not unfriendly but they are afraid about loosing their face because they don't understand english. And in the first moment you might have scared them.
English: very difficult but funny:bored: . No problem with educated Shanghainese but 90% don't speak English. In fact there is a Shanghainese dialect which is not understood by Chinese people not living in Shanhai. Always have a piece of paper ready showing your destination in Mandarin. Road signs are bilangual.
Tax: I don't know exactly because it is paid by the company. I believe it is about 15-20%.
Night life: yes, a lot (but I don't have much experience on that;)
Cultural live: yes, a lot.

But always keep in mind, we are talking about Shanghai. Everything is different in other cities.

Tailwinds!:ok:

2RR's

2RR's
24th Feb 2007, 09:05
Sorry guys, but I don't have any idea about Yangtze's regulations neither do I know on which airport their crews are based (Pudong or Honqiao). Pudong is far outside and you need about 1hr to go there. Honqiao is located in the center of a residential area and nice serviced apartments are available within 5 - 15 minutes from the airport.

Rgds,
2RRs

2RR's
24th Feb 2007, 10:08
Hi sky,

Sorry for my late answer. I posted a very long answer including details about the book but my reply got stuck with the administrator....

I hope you will get it later, menwhile please check the following link for the book:

http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=3703

Rgds, 2RR's

speedtwoten
3rd Mar 2007, 05:45
RR, do you hear about OK AIR in Tian Jin could you tell me how is the condition working with them, have you any friends working with them?? please PM me, I'm applying for OK AIR for the NG's:ok:

sky_is_the_limit
3rd Mar 2007, 13:35
Thanks for the help 2RR
Happy New Year!
Sky itl

speedtwoten
6th Mar 2007, 12:59
2RRs for re-examination how many times could you do it, I'm trying to purchase the book's, do you have any idea about OK AIR in Tianjien?? how is the working condition?? in China??? Thank you

FO Cokebottle
7th Mar 2007, 08:40
RPC CAA ATP Q & A book available for sale.
PM me for details

speedtwoten
8th Mar 2007, 16:49
Hi Cokebottle,

Oke further info how I get the book please

2RR's
9th Mar 2007, 20:52
Sorry speed, but I have no idea about OK Air and I don't know anybody working there.

Good luck!

2RR

2RR's
9th Mar 2007, 20:56
You can do the re-examination after 30 days, you are physically locked out from the CAACs computer system for 30 days.

I believe you can do the exam at least three times, probably there is no limit at all, but I am not sure about.

If they catch you for cheating you are locked out for one year.

Regards,

2RRs

speedtwoten
10th Mar 2007, 04:22
Thank's 2RR's just apply and don't have respond yet from them

ltjng
16th Dec 2007, 04:42
Why OK? They pay the lowest salary package, working condition and management is not there.

There are many other options out there, DON'T try OK!

geroge lee
16th Dec 2007, 13:27
to lightson
It's impossible to pay you in advance.
Are you no cash?

uhtsky
16th Dec 2007, 16:26
I think maybe somebody doesn't go after receiving the ticket.
Same procedure here in India. :)