PDA

View Full Version : HELP: ATPL theory @ Essendon AD, Victoria, AU

Jnr380
20th Feb 2007, 03:49
Hi pplz

Just finally finished my CPL exams, and im trying to get an idea about my ATPL exams. I have completed all CPL subjects via Self study so i guess im a good self teacher.

Now i was informed by my flying school to enrol in a course for ATPL subjects due to the complexibility @ Moorabbin AD with Lionel. But the problem is due to work commitments (rotating roster) and not having the luxury of taking a month or so off work i just got a couple of questions.

1. Is there any place at YMEN that can do it? (Apart from NAT)

2. Has anyone done it as self study and passed? and is it that complicated?

Thanks in Advance

Matt

redsnail
20th Feb 2007, 08:30
It's been a while since I did my Australian ATPL subjects so my advice is probably out of date.

Unless you're very disciplined with your study and pick up stuff easily then I'd recommend some form of structured learning. I'm afraid I don't know of any theory providers in Melbourne.

Try the D&G forums.

Good luck

oldschooljenko
21st Feb 2007, 06:55
G'day mate,
I'm no genius, and don't have exceptional study habits and I didn't find self study a problem. Have a crack at self study and see how you go I reckon. Must admit I found flt planning a bit tricky though

confirm-finals?
21st Feb 2007, 09:57
Best way is to go and see Nathan Higgins up in NSW. Do one or two at a time then you dont need to take 6weeks off at once...
Best ATPL theory in the country!!! Do it right, do it once! Self study for ATPL is a killer if working full time. Need to just hit them head on...

I'm ex NAT (years ago)...Sorry to say they are not the best providers for ATPL. If you going to pay that much money go and see Nathan. You wont be sorry!!! :ok:

Capt Wally
21st Feb 2007, 10:15
........................ATPL subjects need a lot of attention, as mentioned here try to get hold of Nathin Higgins at Maroochy airport he's the man on all things crazy when it comes to ATPL theory:-) & he's a nice bloke to boot !:-)

capt Wally:-)

john_tullamarine
21st Feb 2007, 21:02
(caveat - I'm a bit out of touch with the exams these days so my comments are applicable to some years ago and may not be so now)

(a) problem with DIY is that the recommended syllabus and texts may have a remarkable dissimilarity to the exams .. eg, as an undergrad in the late 60s, I thought to knock over the ATPL exams in Oz .. ANO (now CAO) 40 had a nice syllabus listing, gave some recommended texts (which I duly sourced and studied) .. so far so good.

Came exam period and the exams bore scant resemblance to any of the above .. I probably got a couple of marks for spelling my name correctly. At that stage I hadn't heard about "past papers". A review of these and the next sitting saw the various exams knocked over without any trouble.

So, if you have a half decent secondary background, study the usual texts, do a bit of past paper practice to get a handle on the exams, then you should be able to knock them over without too much trouble.

(b) the advantage of sitting in on a good formal course (or doing a good correspondence equivalent) is that you can save a fair bit of time.

Caveat is that some providers get carried away with past papers and teach to the exam, not the subject. Result is that you might pass the exam but end up knowing little about the subject .. and this latter requirement is what the exam was there for in the first place .. so beware of the provider quality.

Going back some years, there were several suitable providers in the Melbourne area .. can't comment now as I am a bit out of touch with this side of the game .. did my time teaching such things to newbies .. many of whom are now floating around as Chief Pilots etc., here and there.

Main thing is ... get the subjects done as, otherwise, lack of the passes will provide a brick wall to your progress sooner or later.

ron_burgendy
22nd Feb 2007, 01:53
Hi mate,
I have been self studying rob averys atpl books over the last 4months, i have managed to pass all 5 subjects so far no probs, i am on systems and law now for the last 2 of the 7 then i will be done. rob has been good, no probs getting through the books by myself, although like mentioned before flight planning can get a bit tricky. im no wizz kid either, so check him out.
best of luck

hikouki
23rd Feb 2007, 12:20
I did an ATPL course in Victoria, mind you it was a few years ago... whilst I did pass a couple of the exams first time after the completion of the courses, there were still a few that I needed to resit (I had gone quite poorly on them). After self studying the notes from Advanced Flight Training in Marochydore, I passed the remainder of the exams, whilst working full full full time.

I also had a colleague study using these notes and passed all of the exams SELF STUDY!!! So it can be done, and if you need help with any of the subjects you can contact AFT and also attend the courses that you need at some point in the future...

If I was you, I'd look into AFT and find out what all of your options are with them

:ok:

nig&nog
23rd Feb 2007, 22:23
On the ATPL front at En is Capt A.Watson the DC9 guru still around. Apart from having a huge amount of knowledge to pass the exam he also gave alot of practical, regarding how to fly the larger aircraft as well. And the stories that were told are good enough in themselves, like windscreen wiper trouble in the f27 in tas and the old 9 out of mky. have fun :)

john_tullamarine
24th Feb 2007, 06:03
Haven't spoken to Big Al in many years .... a very good teacher.

Tee Emm
24th Feb 2007, 11:59
Result is that you might pass the exam but end up knowing little about the subject

Nothing wrong with that principle. Saves a heap of money and you can then go deeper into each subject at your leisure. Also gets you a job quicker. That is why chalk and talk theory when undergoing type endorsements lost out big time to CBT