PDA

View Full Version : Sky Broadband. Your thoughts please....

scruggs
19th Feb 2007, 15:13
Hi all,

My missus and I are thinking of changing our broadband service provider. Currently we’re on Telewest, now Virgin Media, on the XL package at £35 per month. We’re looking at changing over to the SkyMax package at £10 per month. Using the Sky service provider comparer tool – Sky comes off a lot better – as it would do being a Sky product.

So obviously on the face of it, the Sky deal is much better. However, I’d like to get your thoughts on it. I’d especially like to hear from those already using Sky as a broadband service provider.

Cheers all,

eP. :ok:

Keef
20th Feb 2007, 12:08
Have a look here (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/) and here (http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php) and then make up your own mind.

I dropped Pipex and switched to UKFSN, and have no regrets. Sky are nearer Pipex than UKFSN in the ratings.

scruggs
20th Feb 2007, 13:02
Thanks Keef.

eP.

BRL
23rd Feb 2007, 09:13
I have it and have had no problems at all. It's cheap, quick and easy peasy to set up at home, a piece of cake to be honest.

Speeds are around 8 or 9mg, once hit 10 but averages out around 8 and a bit.

It took about four days to change over and that was no problem too. Only issue there was being on the phone to BT for 45 mins whilst he tried to talk me out of it before he gave me the MAC code.

Go for it, it is not a bad deal at all.

BDiONU
23rd Feb 2007, 09:22
Hi all,
My missus and I are thinking of changing our broadband service provider. Currently we’re on Telewest, now Virgin Media, on the XL package at £35 per month. We’re looking at changing over to the SkyMax package at £10 per month. Using the Sky service provider comparer tool – Sky comes off a lot better – as it would do being a Sky product.
Have you rung VirginMedia customer retentions on 0800 0529403 (option 3) and explained what you're thinking of doing? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reduced deal they'll offer you :) I was NTL, then NTL Telewest now VirginMedia and was getting TV with full movies and sports and phone line with 1Mb broadband, cost about £80-85 a month. I now get TV with full movies and sports, unlimited free phone calls 24/7 (to 01 and 02 landlines) and 2Mb broadband at a cost of £57.45 for life! :ok:
One thing to remember is that sky, like all non-cable broadband providers offer download speeds of 'Up to', with cable you pretty much get what it says on the tin all the time.

BD