PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in the new Saratoga, PPL IMC no IR!

Cessna 210 Heavy
19th Feb 2007, 13:20
Hello all,

I have just managed to get myself sorted with the Saratoga. I is a 2003 TC model, and I love it!

Anyway, I am now trying to figure out where I can fly too! I have a UK PPL, with IMC, but no IR and I feel an aeroplane like the Toga would benefit from an IR at the controls.:ugh:

I am looking for nice places to go for the day, or two within 2 or three hours flying. I am not scared of the French so don’t mind going over there but I would also like to explore some of the UK.

The Aircraft is at Andrewsfield and has a cruise of 165knts,

Thanks all:ok:

Nick

GK430
19th Feb 2007, 13:28
Lucky Man;) Nice machine. Got a 430 and 530 and conventional cockpit or glass one?

Just get rid of your C.210 handle:=

Higher you get, the better it can go! Just remember to plan your descent! You'll be surprised how far out if you don't want to give the pax earache as you can easily make c. 200kts.

jamestkirk
19th Feb 2007, 13:50
go TO Saratoga. It's in Hampshire i think

Cessna 210 Heavy
19th Feb 2007, 14:07
It has the 530 and 430 with Traffic and storm scope, its a nice plane.

turniphead
19th Feb 2007, 14:19
Nice aircraft very capable.

We flew one to Australia.
Took a bit more than a day or two ..but who is in a rush!!

FullyFlapped
19th Feb 2007, 22:28
So what made you get rid of your 210 ?

Just interested, as an owner ...

FF :ok:

Cessna 210 Heavy
20th Feb 2007, 08:56
It was getting old. The aircraft was nice but it needed a respray and, although it had a 430, it could have done with a refit inside. The seating was very nice and it was fast too.
The Saratoga is a different plane, not better in some cases. If you compair the C210 to a TVR and the 'toga to a Ferrari. They will both go very very fast but the Ferrari does it in a different way.
Some people like TVRs others Ferraris.

IO540
20th Feb 2007, 09:44
How would you describe a TB20 then?

Cessna 210 Heavy
20th Feb 2007, 11:17
Never flown a TB20, but looks nice.

Aircraft are personal things, they all appeal to different people for different reasons.

fltcom
20th Feb 2007, 12:05
c210 = Ford Mondeo
Saratoga = Vauxhall Omega
TB20 = Ctiroen C3
Beechcraft Bonanza = BMW 5 Series

Flt

IO540
20th Feb 2007, 13:53
c210 = Ford Mondeo
TB20 = Ctiroen C3

:) :) :)

I think if you put this Q to the average non flying punter, their take would be something like

c210 = a 1960s washing machine with wings on top
Saratoga = a 1950s washing machine with wings on the bottom
TB20 = a BMW 5 series
Beechcraft Bonanza = a 1970s washing machine with wings on the bottom

There is no contest as to which one will have the best "bird appeal" by a wide margin, even though all - assuming similar de-ice eqpt etc - will have roughly similar mission capability.

None of them would even remotely resemble a Ferrari or a TVR. In relative terms, you would need a 1500kg airframe with a 750HP turbine on the front to do that. Then, you would find insufficient aileron+rudder authority to handle max power on takeoff - actually the same as with a TVR ;) ... a friend has nearly killed himself in one of those, wrapping it around a post at a mere 30mph.

Mariner9
20th Feb 2007, 16:19
actually the same as with a TVR ... a friend has nearly killed himself in one of those, wrapping it around a post at a mere 30mph.
He wasn't terrain avoiding solely by GPS was he :E :p (With apologies to your friend - hope he's OK :ok:)

FullyFlapped
20th Feb 2007, 17:44
IO,
TB20 = a BMW 5 series

Heh ... as a Shaguar driver, I've long suspected that most BMWs could be taken for speed by a well-tuned 1960s washing machine ! :D :D :D :D

Sorry IO, couldn't resist !

FF :ok:

S-Works
20th Feb 2007, 17:54
Now I wonder what IO540 flies...... :p

Ye Olde Pilot
20th Feb 2007, 18:06
I'll going back to the Far East in the autumn:O

Nice aircraft. For long trips:D

IRRenewal
20th Feb 2007, 18:17
You used to fly a 210 from Southend, you're now gonna fly a Saratoga from A'field. You want to know where you can go in 2 hours or so.

The answer is: roughly where you used to be able to go from Southend in 2 hours in the 210.

scooter boy
20th Feb 2007, 18:25
"c210 = Ford Mondeo
TB20 = Ctiroen C3

:) :) :)

I think if you put this Q to the average non flying punter, their take would be something like

TB20 = a BMW 5 series

There is no contest as to which one will have the best "bird appeal" by a wide margin, even though all - assuming similar de-ice eqpt etc - will have roughly similar mission capability."

IO, the one with the most "bird-appeal" will be the one that is painted pink.:ugh: Just the way it is I'm afraid.

SB (Pink Mooney M20-R = fanny magnate)

stray10level
20th Feb 2007, 18:56
Surely the list should read thus:-
Ferrari = Mooney 251
BMW M3 = TB21
BMW/MERC 7 or E Class = Bonanza
TVR = Falco
F1 Car = Spitfire
But i would say most girls i know are more impressed by the PA31 Navajo, although the pilot has something to do with it no?
Saratoga = Range Rover!

Cessna 210 Heavy
20th Feb 2007, 18:58
Good point there IR, but I didnt really go anywhere in the 210. Just the £200 cup of tea and so on.

eharding
20th Feb 2007, 20:49
On topic: as I understand it, the Saratoga (at the least the club one) economics make more sense the longer the distance flown - and don't forget the fuel drawback benefit arising from cross-channel trips.

Actually, dammit - does fuel drawback work for flights to Eire from the UK and back? - I may have missed a trick there.

Anyway, on the cars front - I swapped two TVRs for two aeroplanes, but the analogy I would use is:

Griffith 500: Yak-52 - fantastic noise, laughable fuel economy; Russian.

Tuscan Speed-Six: Extra 300 - always a little bit scared of it, out-of-warranty bills could bankrupt a small African nation. A b@stard to start when hot.

Caterham Seven: The Pitts - totally focussed, legendary - although the Seven is a lot easier to park.

Johnm
20th Feb 2007, 21:13
I'm lost in the car analogies but with similar qualifications I recommend the following destinations that I've done in Saratoga inside your time limit:

Deauville for Honfleur bring back live seafood for supper from the Sat Market
Channel Islands easy for lots of lunches
Le Touquet boring but reliable
Anywhere on the Dutch Belgian coast

But why not go further afield, it's a very capable aeroplane and with double your time you can get to Prague, Cannes and lots of other places

just draw a circle radius 600 nm and take your pick of 4 hour destinations.

dublinpilot
20th Feb 2007, 21:37
the one with the most "bird-appeal" will be the one that is painted pink.

:D :D :D

I handed my last female passenger a set of DC's, and she asked if I had any pink ones :rolleyes: I wasn't going to go there....:rolleyes:

So I suspect you are probably right on the pink painted aircraft :rolleyes:

does fuel drawback work for flights to Eire from the UK and back?
Yes you can claim your duty back on fuel taken out of the UK enroute to Ireland. Also remember when refueling in Ireland for your return home flight, to tell them that it is an international departure.....you will get your fuel duty free if you tell them.

dp

eharding
20th Feb 2007, 21:43
Thanks DP - didn't think of that when we were refuelling the Yak prior to the return trip from the aeros competition at Waterford last year. :(

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Feb 2007, 09:33
Thanks for the replies guys, Ireland seems fun, also ma little further into France. My girlfriend has a house in Montpeiller so maybe I should try that.

Just as a side not a good friend of mine has his IR, so if I took him too could he assume control if we needed to go IMC in France??

eharding,

I thought I had got away from you, pistonheads you see

extra300driver