PDA

View Full Version : Astar with increased hot & high performance thread please?

dogpaddy
19th Feb 2007, 08:57
I'm looking for a thread from 6-8 months ago about a modified Astar that has been certified by the FAA. Report was a comparison between the performance of the modded Astar and a standard B3. Have tried the search function but I can't remember the name of the firm performing the mods so haven't had any success. Anybody help me?

regards,

dogpaddy

Bravo73
19th Feb 2007, 09:12
dogpaddy,

Are you thinking of the AS350FX, by helilynx.com (http://www.helilynx.com/)?

A quick search produced a mentioned of it's twin brother (AS355 FX) but no mention of the 350 version:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1775888&highlight=as355fx#post1775888)

Otherwise, a trawl through that thread should provide any reference to the 350/355 family that has appeared on Rotorheads.

HTH,

B73

dogpaddy
19th Feb 2007, 11:05
Thanks Bravo73,

I think that's the helicopter I'm after but not the thread. I remember there being a direct performance comparison between the 350FX and the B3.

I had a quick look(and I mean quick) at the Helilynx website but it didn't seeem to have too much information. Talk about trying to sell your product. I'll trawl through the other thread later on when I have a bit more time.

regards,

dogpaddy

Flyting
19th Feb 2007, 14:30
If you do find the thread for the 350 please post it. I would also be interrested....

Fun Police
19th Feb 2007, 19:20
i beleive you are looking for the FX2. apparently it si quite a bit more powerful at high altitudes and high temperatures than the B2. from what i understand it has the same gross weight as the B2 but could go up the the B3 weights, but then it takes on the B3 component times.
it uses an LTS 101-700 series engine with re-engineered compressor and turbine core (keep in mind i am not an engineer), that is generally torque limited, cheap to run, and good on fuel.
the new variants are built by heli-lynx as mentioned, and also their is a soloy version that is completed in olympia(?), washington.
hope this helps.

hjm1
12th Feb 2008, 08:14
The performance of the FX2 sits between the B2 & B3 with much less than B2 operating costs. We have just completed an FX2 conversion and are astounded at the performance - particularly in hot and high conditions. The other features of the Helilynx conversion increase reliability and reduce operating costs

crunchingnumbers
12th Feb 2008, 10:53
Could also be talking about the Soloy Super D2 which gave increased hot and high performance. Search the threads for that or google it for more info.

nigelh
12th Feb 2008, 20:27
is the LTS 101 certified in uk yet ? what options are there for a BA to switch to without having to change xmissions etc ?

Firepilot
12th Feb 2008, 23:56
The Soloy conversion and the FX/2 are very similar. I have heard rumblings from Heli-lynx about an FX/3 conversion. It is supposed to have the HTS-900 in it. I heard this a while back, before the developmental problems with the HTS-900.