PDA

View Full Version : CLI.exe & High CPU usage

joe2812
18th Feb 2007, 18:47
My laptop has recently been running loudly and every now and then 'stutters'. It idles at about 50%, and with MSN Mess running and one firefox window seems to be using about 68% CPU.

Had a look at processes and CLI.exe is running at between 45-60%. This is an ATi application jobbie but everything i've read has said I shouldn't disable it. I did try ending process and my laptop fell back to a few % usage and no stutters, but then Photoshop wouldn't work. Only seems to work when CLI.exe is running.

But why the CPU-hog? Any ideas?

joe2812
18th Feb 2007, 18:50
Just to add... this has only happened in the last couple of days since downloading a Windows Update...?

OzPax1
18th Feb 2007, 20:03
Seehere (http://www.auditmypc.com/process/cli.asp) for info on this process. It appears to be a ATI Graphics sys tray icon process.

joe2812
18th Feb 2007, 20:29
Yeh that's what i'd read.

As I run an ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 can I shut it down without any nasty effects you think?

But then PS continues to stop working :ugh:

Tarq57
19th Feb 2007, 02:03
Sometimes a driver update, if available/recommended, can help.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Cypherus
19th Feb 2007, 11:09
CLI.exe is just there to run an 'Easy Access' task bar icon for the ATI diagnostics function, usually included in the main programs too.

You can stop it from starting by pressing START..RUN and enter MSCONFIG, goto the START-UP tab and locate the offending .exe then uncheck the item.

You will find the icon does not appear and it will cause no ill effects other than having to open the 'All Progams' menu if you really need to run it at anytime.

Note: Apart from your Antivirus and Firewall which you should not prevent from starting at boot, most if not all of the items listed in the start-up menu can be unchecked without causing a problem, so reducing boot times and running processes, Suggest you make a list of whats there, do a little research on each item and uncheck those you do not normally need.
Most of the items listed you will find you do not normally require to be running all the time, Sound and Video Consoles ect as once you have set them up it's not often you need to make changes, a little time taken on this can free up a lot of resources other programmes.