PDA

View Full Version : Employment in Australia

tightturnaround
18th Feb 2007, 18:22
Hi. Im considering moving from the UK to Oz, initially on a 1-year 'working holiday' visa... does anyone know if employment as c/crew would be permitted to a UK national in Oz with this visa, or is it strictly permanent-Australian residents? Also is this the case with ground staff/airport jobs
(would be nice if I could continue in this industry!)
Thanks in advance

sinala1
18th Feb 2007, 21:21
I think a working-holidaymaker visa only allows you to work for 3 months at a time with any single employer? At least thats how it was a few years back for some English friends on mine who were here in Oz... And sorry to break bad news, but I highly doubt that you will get a) a 3 month CC job, or b) Employed by an airline in any capacity on a working-holidaymaker visa

:{

exmax
18th Feb 2007, 22:12
Hi tightturnaround,

I'm a UK national and came to Oz on the WHM visa and have been through the immigration process. Sinala is correct about the work conditions, you have to be a permanent resident or Australian citizen to even get considered.

I'm a permanent resident now and just going for a couple of interviews and believe me, from the working holiday visa til now, it's taken me 3years. If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

mooguy
19th Feb 2007, 00:47
Yeah- unfortuantely you won't even get to the interview stage with any oz airline without having to show your permanent residency stamp in your passport. I have perm residency, soon eligible for aus passport.

Also I worked as cabin crew with monarch, then emirates and various other carriers in the middle east and find it soo so difficult to get cabin crew work in this country, It has always been that way, cos every girl and her dog wants to be a Flight Attendant here, hence the airlines can gain quite an arrogant attitude towards prospective new F/A's and really put you thru the ringer in order to get their wonderful job!

Also, in the UK you have literally tonnes of airlines to chose from, so eventually you will always get in, I got offered Brittania, British Caledonia and Monarch all in one week. There just isnt the population in Australia, nor enough airlines so its probably the most competive country in the world to get into flying. A lot of the bigger companies here especially seem to make unususal choices in whom they chose to work for them, they seem to value arrogance and blatant self promotion over genuine compassion in their crew:= I was quite amazed at the majority of 18-24 year olds they took on, when I recently got work as a casual with Qantas (since quit!)who seemed to know how to run the world and barely had time for me, despite my 11 plus years of flying! Nope they know it all, and theres no telling em!

AS I said I workded recently as a casual with Qantas, but left at xmas, (I also had some very pressing home issues)- it was just so not for me. Talk about anal, and non stop performance assesments, even the training course was 7 weeks long, if they could have turned it into a university degree course no doubt they would have, they just were not for me. Very gestapo like organisation in my opinion. On a return flight, flying home to my base from training in Melbourne, one of the girls in business class was so obvioulsy being Ms PR woman of the month, and being watched by the senior flight attendant it was quite cringy, even the man next to me commented, bloody hell, she doesnt have to repeat the entire history of the wines she was offering us, she was obviously new and out of training school, and being observed, poor girl, she was making a nightmare for herself.

An hour before landing she then sent an entire tray of drinks to the ceiling and all over half the pax, I was dying inside for her! Man next to me then said, he wasnt in the slightest surprised, he could see that coming, cos she so on edge from trying so hard to impress, trying far too hard. QF are trying to copy the like of Emirates, but on a budget, and its too in your face, mind you with the exception of some nice QF crew I"ve met, I"ve always found their intrusive service and in your face attitude offputting. So I wouldnt recommend trying them, unless you want your life owned by the company.

If you can manage to do some other kind of employment in the interim, and you do well at that job, sometimes the employers will sponsor you, thats how my sister got her perm residency. Alternatively shack up with an aussie bloke! Then if you're really determined to fly here, I'd advise applying to the smaller operations, they seem much less pompous and down to earth.

Good luck:ok:

sebby
19th Feb 2007, 04:21
WOW! Thats a really interesting observation mooguy...

Ive worked for QF in aus and now work for Jetconnect or as some would say Qantas New Zealand... cant say I completely agree with you but dont exactly disagree. Although I havent had the experience you have in other countries. I really feel I am going to personally take on board what you have said though! :ok:

missleadfoot
19th Feb 2007, 04:58
Hi tightturnaround,
Yes you must at least have residency of Australia to be Australian based crew unless you wish to join QF from another base such as AKL, BKK or LON however I cant tell you what the requirements are in those ports. The easiest and quickest way to get in is as a casual employed by an outside company, MAM. You still must have residency at least. You are not employed by Qantas but contracted to work on behalf. Qantas does not have direct entry any more and I cant see that happening again in our life time unfortunately. Casual work means no staff travel, no sick leave, no holiday leave or pay in that effect. You can be guaranteed hours, I think now up to 80 per month and you can ask to work more. Hourly rate is good compared to other casual jobs. Hope this helps.

Virgin Blue and Jetstar still offer full time positions with benefits. Jetstar have transfer rights to Qantas but last I heard the waitlist is quite a few years and thats if you are accepted.