PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player 11

shack
18th Feb 2007, 10:22
I have been trying to get rid of this for two days now, to start with there was not an uninstall program in Control Panel/Add or Remove programs so I went the long way through Regedit in the Registry. I deleted every thing that was in it or linked to it which appeared to happen but it immediately reinstalled itself. I then tried an uninstall program that has never before failed me and the same thing happened, it uninstalled and then reinstalled. It is quite weird to see the exe. files reappear.

Any ideas please?

PPRuNe Pop
18th Feb 2007, 10:53
IF.....there is still a link there your best bet was to click Start>All programs and use the uninstall for MP11. It would have left MP10 in place too.

Not sure if you have broken the chain or not now.

P.Pilcher
18th Feb 2007, 11:01
For quite some time, my version of Windoze media player has advised me that an update is available. I fell for it the first time and the sparkling new new media player did not appear to let me continue listening to Classic FM or any other radio station available on the internet. It is probably possible, but I couldn't find out how.
The only way I could find of restoring the earlier version of media player - with the obvious ability to play radio stations - was to use system restore.
No longer do I accept any invitation to update my media player and I'm listening to Classic FM as I type this.

P.P.

shack
18th Feb 2007, 12:15
Thanks for the replies, I seem to have beaten it by reinstalling completly and this time there was an uninstall option which I used.

Selfloading
18th Feb 2007, 15:25
Interesting thread this, shack may i ask why you wanted rid of MP11, and P.Pilcher I have MP11 and it has not stopped me listening or watching streaming media, not that i have a particular interest its just curiosity.

P.Pilcher
18th Feb 2007, 17:04
I run on version 9 - it was version 10 I had trouble with. As I said, what I wanted to do may have been possible, but I couldn't find out how to do it fairly quickly. When I tried to find "my stations" which I had hoped would contain "Classic FM", it wasn't there and there was no reference to a radio tuner anywhere I could see. Maybe version 11 is better. Why should I waste time when ver 9 does everything I want.

P.P.

Selfloading
18th Feb 2007, 17:41
OK thanks for your reply, there is a lot to be said for not updating until you need to.

Cypherus
18th Feb 2007, 23:44
Tried WMP 11 myself a few days after it's release, worked Ok, had to go though when I noticed it phoned home everytime I opened it and sent off a number of encrypted packets, not a happy bunny about Bills Morals to start with, even less now. :\

shack
19th Feb 2007, 08:15
I wanted to take it out because regardless of what I had got set for it as default programs it would leap in to any sound or video programs. I eventually undid all the ticks so that in theory it was not to run anything---didn't make any difference it kept starting and trying to run.
Back to Media Player Classic.

P.Pilcher
19th Feb 2007, 13:32
I shall definitely continue with V9!

P.P.

Selfloading
19th Feb 2007, 17:20
Hmmm I updated to 11 because I needed it for some p2p software, seems no better or worse than 9 or 10 to me.