PDA

View Full Version : XP Boot Problem - Auto Update?

Terraplaneblues
18th Feb 2007, 08:44
This morning PC was switched on and left to boot, on returning, had message box ref memory access problem and svchost32, OK to terminate process etc. Did all of that and also send error report to MS. PC was locked up. Had to push reset, did same a couple of times, during which I noticed the yellow auto update shield blink momentarily in the quick launch area. Eventually the update loaded, restart message box came up and now all is fine.
Seem to remember this happened before, an auto update thing? Any other similar experiences out there?

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5W DH Deluxe Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0701 07/08/2006
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
NEC DVD_RW ND-4551A [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
HP psc 2410 USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Raid 0 [Hard drive] (148.70 GB) -- drive 0
SAMSUNG HD300LJ [Hard drive] (300.07 GB) -- drive 1
SAMSUNG HD300LJ SCSI Disk Device (300.07 GB) -- drive 2

gas path
18th Feb 2007, 09:18
Yep had similar the other day when M$ did the monthly updates (IIRC Tuesday?), although it did boot but was running like treacle:ugh:
Task manager showed svchost running at 100%, clicked on 'end task' and it all settled down after the updates:ok:

Cypherus
18th Feb 2007, 23:48
Make use of the 'Custom Install' option and watch what Bill feeds your computer, recent problems with unexpected installation of WMP 11 and IE.7 for a lot of folks have again raised the question about Microsoft messing with software that does not need updating, the question is why?

Tarq57
19th Feb 2007, 01:29
Totally agree with Cypherus. Mine's set to "notify on updates but don't download or install". I have found on the odd accasion I've let it update by making the appropriate clicks/selections from the yellow shield, that it generally takes at least twice as long to install the updates than if I go direct to the Microsoft update site. During this time, the computer appears to stall or freeze at times. Always comes right, though.

Terraplaneblues
19th Feb 2007, 08:41
Have now set mine to same as markjoy, at least then, the cause of any problem can be easily identified.

Thanks to all for the responses

Keef
20th Feb 2007, 12:03
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't allow any more MS updates to XP. They cause more problems than they seem to solve.

Could it all be a plan to convince us to "upgrade" to Vista?

My Linux machine is still running flawlessly, having last restarted some months ago. There's a message there...