View Full Version : Engineering challenge question.

Cypherus
17th Feb 2007, 21:31
OK, got no choice but to ask the question, this one for all those ex-mil types maybe.

Been following a few threads regarding BAC lightning’s and their troublesome AVPIN starters and the worries current owners have about supplies of starter fuels ect, some have asked if there is any other way they could be started other than the use of AVPIN, so far, as I have noted so many times, owners have not been to forth right about circulating information that may allow some of us engineers to cook up a possible solution to there looming problem, i.e. a different method of starting an AVON from cold rather than having to blow it up with 4 pints of AVPIN, so the question is raised.

1, is there a suitable mono-fuel that could be used as a replacement in Plessey Avpin Starters.

And if not:

2: what other methods could be used to run up such an engine too start/maintain RPM that does not include major engineering changes too the airframe/engine.

3: would anyone care to take up this challenge.

bvcu
19th Feb 2007, 05:33
I believe one lightning was originally built/modified with electric starting in the sixties , not fast enough for QRA duties i guess ? Electric starter inst off comet would be compatible with that series of avon i would think. Didnt think AVPIN was that bad from my experience of hunter/lightning ops ? Lot of faults with clockwork electronics controlling it all which usually required you to thump correct box!!!!!!

Cypherus
20th Feb 2007, 10:24
Nothing much changed there then, Parrafin Parrot apparently gets a regular kicking in the cogs too wake it up, but thanks for confirming that on the comet E/S, just got to convice em to stop moaning about what might happen and have a go at it before it's way to late.