PDA

View Full Version : Aerial photography

dboy
17th Feb 2007, 13:10
Hello,

i would like to know if you want to do aerial photography work, is there also someone on board who serves the "camera" or is it also the job of the pilot??
grtz

CJ Driver
17th Feb 2007, 22:02
All of my aerial photography experience has involved a professional photographer taking the pictures while I did the flying. Although it is possible to do it single crew I suspect that you can get much better pictures, more safely, and in significantly less flying time, by splitting the tasks.

mikehammer
20th Feb 2007, 20:43
I too fly an aerial photographer, he takes the pics, I do the flying. He has a ppl with many hours and we share the positioning legs, but "on target" I do the flying. Low level you could do with an extra pair of eyes in addition to this really. Watching the speed (dead slow not THAT slow!), keeping an eye out for Tornado A/C, not bumping into chimneys or power lines, keeping away from restriced airspace, whilst manoevering all the time, it's all too easy to get drawn into the photo. Especially if your photographer, understandably, has in mind, and is focussed on, exactly the picture he wants.

Thoroughly enjoyable and challenging flying, though. Good first flying job to perfect those stick and rudder skills.

l_reason
21st Feb 2007, 22:02
I have done both. I own a small business here in Canada and I have done some work in the UK for a company that uses a two man crew each system has its pros and cons. Flying solo is no harder then working in a team. Working here in Canada I prefer to work alone because the homes are spaced farther apart. If you were to utilise a 2 man crew here the extra productivity would not be worth paying the second guy. However in the UK and the density of homes, airspace and traffic a two man crew is almost mandatory. I have done both jobs (pilot & photographer) whilst working in a team and the photographer is far more interesting and challenging of the two jobs. The pilot is merely an “organic autopilot” he is told to; turn left, strait, left again, strait, hard right, strait, hard left, strait……. being told just what to do all day by the photographer.

Safe flying!

Blakey
19th Apr 2007, 21:40
I have a friend (yes honest a friend not me in a different persona) who has an aircraft and is into photography. I'm with all the guys above regards a 2-man operation in UK. As I see it, because he only has a PPL, I (with commercial licence) would have to fly it, if anything is sold as it would be "flying for reward". Would we have to go 1 stop further and have to set up a company with AOC for aerial work to keep fully legal? I'd appreciate views of those who already do it. Any insurance implications also?
Many thanks.
Blakey.
(Edited for Krammar!)

triple_2
19th May 2007, 09:52
Hi guys,

Talking about aerial photography, I was just wondering how you can get in aerial photography as a pilot. I don't mean the basic stuff but more about africa/south america kind of operations. At the moment I'm working in the airlines as a pilot after having done 500 hours of General Aviation (instructing) and I would love to do this kind of stuff and take three months off/ year. Any suggestions (companies/agencies/photographers)?

Cheers!

contrail
19th May 2007, 10:12
Blakey..... No AOC required if all work is done speculatively (e.g. Salesmen go around cold-calling with product afterwards).

Triple-2..... PM me. Might know someone that can assist.