PDA

View Full Version : Paraglider at 32,000ft

ORAC
16th Feb 2007, 15:19
Storm whips paraglider to heights of 32,000 ft (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/16/wpara116.xml)

A champion paraglider described today her terror at being flung to a height greater than Mount Everest by a tornado-like thunderstorm in Australia. Wisnerska rated her chances of survival as "almost zero".

Ewa Wisnerska, 35, was sucked so high that she blacked out and became encased in ice. “You can’t imagine the power. You feel like nothing, like a leaf from a tree going up,” she told Australian radio.

Wisnerska, from Germany, was preparing for the 10th World Paragliding Championships above the town of Manilla in New South Wales when the storm struck on Wednesday. With terrifying speed she was whisked from 2,500 ft to an estimated 32,000 ft in about 15 minutes.

A 42-year-old Chinese paraglider, He Zhongpin, was also caught in the storm and died, apparently from a lack of oxygen and extreme cold. His body was found nearly 50 miles from where he had taken off.

Wisnerska said she encountered hailstones the size of oranges as the temperature dropped to minus 58 degrees fahrenheit. “I was shaking all the time. The last thing I remember it was dark. I could hear lightning all around me,” she said.

Her ordeal was recorded by global positioning and a radio attached to her equipment.

When her desperate attempts to skirt the powerful thunderstorm failed, she concluded that her chances of survival were “almost zero.” “I said, 'I can’t do anything. It’s raining and hailing and I’m still climbing — I’m lost.”’ The paragliding 2005 World Cup winner lost consciousness for more than 30 minutes while her aircraft flew on uncontrolled, sinking and lifting several times.

“There’s no oxygen. She could have suffered brain damage. But she came to again at a height of 6,900 metres with ice all over her body and slowly descended herself,” said Godfrey Wenness, the event organizer and one of Australia’s most experienced paraglider pilots. After regaining consciousness, she felt like an astronaut returning from the Moon as the ground loomed beneath her. “I could see the Earth coming — wow, like Apollo 13 — I can see the Earth,” she said.

Wisnerska landed safely 40 miles from her original launch site with ice in her lightweight flying suit and frost bite to her face.

She spent just an hour in a hospital for observation and hopes to compete in biennial championships which begin on February 24.

fyrefli
16th Feb 2007, 17:53
I can't believe that there are any gliders in this photo that aren't spiralling for dear life - I bet they would be today after what happened:

http://www.chrigelmaurer.ch/mambo/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=28

Jnr380
16th Feb 2007, 22:24
ORAC,

That lady is all over the news here in Australia, she has frost bite all over her face, her height was approx FL250.

one thing i want to highlight is:

“There’s no oxygen. She could have suffered brain damage. But she came to again at a height of 6,900 metres with ice all over her body and slowly descended herself,” said Godfrey Wenness

Firstlly im sure there is oxygen at height, and i know that the reason someone loses conciousness is because its the brains' way of protecting vital organs, shut down the rest of the body and use the oxygen coming in (at very low pressure thou...) is used to protect the brain, heart etc....

Same way as on a cold day, the body draws the heat away from the skin to keep all the vital organs at normal temperature and need be, it will shut down all functions to protect the organs.

G-CPTN
17th Feb 2007, 05:05
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/02/16/australia.paraglider.ap/index.html

barit1
17th Feb 2007, 12:15
She was just interviewed on one of the US Saturday morning network shows. :eek:

Astral_Flyer
17th Feb 2007, 13:57
I really cannot for the life of me understand why the pilots involved in the competition took such risks with CB's. They were all very experienced competition pilots and know the dangers.

Like many pilots I have encountered rough conditions and wished that I had stayed on the ground.

This is a report from a pilot in the competition of the days conditions. ---> Manilla XC 2007 - DAY 1 (http://flygirl.co.za/content/view/108/29/)

Another forum's thread on this tragic event. ----> What's happened in the Manilla open? (http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Astral

barit1
17th Feb 2007, 14:53
While I was a PPL I was flying a 65hp Aeronca 7AC on a 100 mile xc and was skirting a CB about 15 miles off my R wing, in clear & calm at 1500 AGL. While watching all the activity I noticed the ground looked farther away than I thought right, and noticed the altimeter 2000' and climbing. Sloppy flying!

I retarded power. Still climbing.

Pulled on carb heat. Still climbing.

Did a fast 180 and got the hell out of there! :eek:

scooter boy
17th Feb 2007, 19:36
Sounds like Frau Wisnerska should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Her luck held against the odds.
How was the actual altitude she reached verified?
Nasty things CBs, penetrating them is not for the faint hearted - and certainly not a good idea with a paraglider.

The brain can withstand hypoxia for several minutes before permanent changes set in - she must have been approaching the threshold when the neurones start to wither. Fortunately the brain (although as part of the CNS it is dreadful at regenerating) does have significant redundancy available.

I don't like the sound of those hailstones the size of oranges though - they had to hurt,:ouch:

SB

Astral_Flyer
17th Feb 2007, 21:15
Barit - Your experience fits with what a lot of other people have found out. You don't have to be that close to feel the effects of CB's. Scouting through the reports of others flying at the time. Most just got down as fast as they could. Sadly a few didn't consider it a problem.

One pilot (Mr He Zhongpin) died after being sucked up. His body was found nearly 50 miles from where he had taken off. He was found by the Westpac Rescue helicopter. His logging system failed at around 6000 Metres.

scooter boy - Ewa Wisnerska had a tracklog system on board so her altitude and location was recorded. She went up to 9947 m, according to the tracklog. And had vertical speeds of +20 m/s up, and -30 m/s down during her flight.

No doubt more will be revealed with time.

Astral

rudestuff
18th Feb 2007, 07:42
I bet she'll check the TAFs next time...

RatherBeFlying
18th Feb 2007, 17:18
In the air we could see a series of shower lines heading for our glider club from the North.

The lift was quite good under the line; you could go a looong ways along it. We sat in the lift going back and forth until it looked like time to get back on the ground and in the hanger before the shower line passed over the club.

Gliders do have the advantage over paragliders of being able to put on a bunch of speed and get well away as long as you have not stepped too far into the jaws of the beast:uhoh:

Ultralights
18th Feb 2007, 20:17
A chinese paraglider was taken up into the same storm, and didnt survive..