PDA

View Full Version : IFR Routing YMER-YSBK

UnderneathTheRadar
16th Feb 2007, 04:09
Hi all,

Looking for advice on the route to plan for this route. If I understand ERSA properly, the only option is YMER-MRY-SLS-BIK-WATLE-YSBK (i.e. I can't plan NWR-WOL-WATLE as I don't originate at YWOL).

Am I reading this right? It adds approx 12 minutes flight time when compared to the return leg:

YSBK-GLF-WOL-NWR-MRY-YMER (or do I have to plan around Nowra?)

Being PIFR and non-SID/STAR rated I assume I can ask for vectors in place of the SID/STARs for Bankstown?

Thanks in advance,

UTR.

SM4 Pirate
16th Feb 2007, 09:50
You wouldn't normally go WOL-WATLE... If you didn't want the WATLE STAR.

Going WOL-WATLE, vice W543 to BIK from MRY would be the same or worse trackmiles (wild guess).

If you want to go to BK in CTA; then you'd be expected to go via WATLE for a STAR.

Other options would be via NWA-(W144)-TONTO-CN-BK OCTA.

If you want to go in CTA initially via the W144 that would be easily accomodated; provided you did the last 45NM OCTA...

No need to avoid NWA CTA as clearances for transit nearly always available; just call before getting to 23NM NWA (VFR); 121.2 and 125.0 will assist if IFR OCTA/CTA respectively.

Hope that helps.

Wheeler
16th Feb 2007, 12:24
Try planning MER NWA BK and go OCTA for the last bit via 2RN, if VMC by then. Otherwise, request the approach you want and see what you get. NDB B is good from there - but very rarely needed.

Now the $64K question - how do you avoid that long wait on the ground at BK for an IFR clearance? - besides go VFR.

kimwestt
17th Feb 2007, 06:15
You could always try the suggestions contained in the ERSA and DAPs which give an indication of the IFR routing you might plan

NOtimTAMs
18th Feb 2007, 09:34
Yeah, but the ERSA is a bit of a shambles. The section suggesting what to do re: arrival from the south to YSBK is under "Flight Plan Requirements 1.4.1 - From North of Sydney"!!! :rolleyes:

In your case UTR, it says to join V599 at an appropriate point an expect a WATLE arrival. WATLE is on V599 and is thus an appropriate point forthe direction you are coming from. If you have the right GPS and training then there's nothing to stop you planning NWA-WATLE DCT - there's nothing that says you must plan on the V-routes and nothing to stop you requesting descent via Camden and proceeding VFR etc.

In any case, it's a planning thing - what you get may be something completely different - if the wx is good enough a WATLE arrival, if not good then you may be given the NDB-B or the 11C RNAV from over the top of Camden. It's certainly not as much of a deviation out of the way as the dogleg inland to Singleton-McQuoid-RIC that those arriving from along the northern coast of NSW have to do.

Here's another example of ERSA stating the bl00dy obvious (and wasting paper) as a flight plan "suggestion". Take a look at ERSA-GEN-FPR 8. Flight Planning Options. Now look at the suggested route YMER-YMRY....well duh, is there any other option? Why don't they include such bright suggestions for other adjacent pairs of airfields served by aids (e.g. YLIS-YBNA or YPKS-YFBS)??!!:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

BTW when planning ex-YSBK, if there's more than one route possible, plan and punch into the GPS the two most likely (e.g to the north you can get out via RIC or via SY-KAMBA depending on altitude) so that the last minute clearance that isn't in accordance with your lodged plan (happens all the time) doesn't have you spinning the wizz wheel on the tarmac and reloading the GPS at the same time.;)

UnderneathTheRadar
19th Feb 2007, 02:18
Thanks all (mostly) for the useful info.

KimWestt, could you let me know which part of the ERSA I should have been reading on top of the suggestions in the first post?

Wheeler, for the way home I'm praying that the prefix "angelflight" might get me rolling faster than the normal wait!

UTR.

Duff Man
19th Feb 2007, 10:00
underneath the radar,

check your PMs (in a minute)