PDA

View Full Version : BA Cancellations due 5x744s tech

ABird747
15th Feb 2007, 19:35
BA are cancelling longhaul flights due to tech problems with 5 744s...

Hopefully while they're on the ground our long-suffering engineers will have a chance to clear the hundreds of ADDs we're carrying round on some of our old heaps.:ugh:

Carnage Matey!
15th Feb 2007, 19:48
Interesting, although I can't say I've seen any 744s with 'hundreds of ADDs' any time recently. Most of them seem to be in pretty good nick. Might be lots of non-airworthiness cabin defects around.

hetfield
15th Feb 2007, 19:50
http://feisar.de/stuff/breakingnews.jpg

Hotel Mode
15th Feb 2007, 23:12
In 4 years i have never flown an aircraft with more than 2 significant ADDs beyond dud bulbs. The 74 is a vey well maintained fleet in general.

ABird747
16th Feb 2007, 08:26
Try coming the other side of the door then...

My last flight had 2 loos out, lights in F would not dim (at all), no IFE in 36 seats in Zone E, the oven door fell off one of it's hinges in World Traveller so it became unusable as it wouldnt seal and maintain temperature.

It may be great in the flight deck but it ain't so good in the cabin.

Hotel Mode
16th Feb 2007, 09:25
Dont forget we read the Cabin Log too. That is simply not a normal state of affairs, the odd toilet and lighting system maybe, sounds like you had a bad day. Of course it would help if CSD's bothered to bring the cabin log up to the flight deck in a timely manner so we could report faults inbound.

I can only see 2 747's off line that werent planned to be in Cardiff anyway. Only 2 cancellations today.

yachtno1
16th Feb 2007, 09:51
The problem were having at LGW on the 777 is that the New Cabin Crews just don't know how to operate the IFE properly..:rolleyes:

Golden Ticket
16th Feb 2007, 12:25
The problem at LGW is that the crew haven't been trained comprehensively to use the IFE.
Because of the way the fleet was changed over to the LGW crews there was nobody on board with enough prior knowledge of the systems to pass on those hints and tips that people with experience like to do.
Before anyone starts, apart from the doors the safety equipment on board is pretty much the same as the 737 there's just more of it.

apaddyinuk
16th Feb 2007, 13:23
Whatever about the ADD's I just hope they use this time to staple down the frayed carpet edges and to bleach the lavs!!!! :ugh:

Ranger One
16th Feb 2007, 14:13
hetfield,

You owe me a keyboard.

R1

hetfield
16th Feb 2007, 18:12
@Ranger

Took me quite a while, but I got it.....

:)

wrenchbender
16th Feb 2007, 19:46
What type of IFE system is installed on your 777's?

monkeyboy
16th Feb 2007, 19:51
What a beaut, hetfield!! :) :)

chipsbrand
16th Feb 2007, 20:31
I am not sure I understand this thread. My understanding is that BA has suffered severe delays because of bad weather in the USA this week and it is that that has caused numerous cancellations.

yachtno1
16th Feb 2007, 21:18
Some are Rockwell Collins and some GMISS. A new system being developed is called AVODS . we like to alter it slightly to " AVOIDS" ..:E

A and C
18th Feb 2007, 09:42
Yesterday I returned from JFK with BA and the IFE in the rear of the cabin was inop, add to this the reading lights on all the seats that had the inop IFE and you have some very upset pax who next they travel will put BA at the bottom of the list when they book a flight.

I also should say that two of the toilets were inop as well !

As an (very) ex-BA engineer I know that the engineers would not dispach an aircraft that was unsafe but I feel that the state of the tow BA B744's that I have traveled in reflects the way that BA management treat engineering.

My contacts tell me that the management attitude towards the engineers is one of compleat contempt, with most of the management effort going into re-vamping the "command structure" following a damming report by the CAA into the distribution of technical responsability.

I suspect that all that has happend is that the system has changed in order to isolate the management from the front line engineers in case something goes badly wrong.

BrummyGit
18th Feb 2007, 11:43
Yesterday I returned from JFK with BA and the IFE in the rear of the cabin was inop, add to this the reading lights on all the seats that had the inop IFE and you have some very upset pax who next they travel will put BA at the bottom of the list when they book a flight.

I also should say that two of the toilets were inop as well !
We'll that sounds like the same a/c that ABird747 posted this about on 16th Feb:
My last flight had 2 loos out, lights in F would not dim (at all), no IFE in 36 seats in Zone E, the oven door fell off one of it's hinges in World Traveller so it became unusable as it wouldnt seal and maintain temperature.

So it has been like it for a few days. That's quite a few pax who will reconsider using BA in future.

The Controlller
18th Feb 2007, 15:03
Ref the canceled flights maybe you should consider if its tech aircraft( which I know its not) or lack of tech crew(which I know it is) politics or what ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????:=

aileron
18th Feb 2007, 15:09
Any good news regarding BA these days? :hmm:

bamcb38c
18th Feb 2007, 15:15
from an engineering point of view,the 744s despatched from bamc are perfectly safe but due to reduced manning levels (almost 30% of the manning are new starters with little or no experiance) and lower down times the cabin is being neglected (despite the internal audits returning v high figures. these are carried out internally by office staff sometimes). the new avod mod will redress some of the neglect as its being worked as a stand alone mod and not being incorporated into c and d checks (yet) so the cabin is imaculate at the time of despatch.
the new system is a massive improvment on the old system (when it works) but still lags behind that of our competitors.

Hotel Mode
18th Feb 2007, 15:26
Well there arent actually any cancelled flights on the 747 today or tomorrow anyway. Its also definitly not tech crew shortage most of the reserve crews are sat at home. But why let the facts get in the way of a good rumour.