PDA

View Full Version : How Many Type Rated 737 pilots are out there?

ianpa
15th Feb 2007, 19:14
Hi Guys
how many of you are out there with a 737 type rating and no Job?

thepotato232
15th Feb 2007, 20:07
I have a job, but it's not related at all to the 737. If your total time is low enough, nobody will care too much about your type rating. I'm rated in the 737, but I'm working for a turboprop operation to get the turbine command time I need to work for a jet carrier.

That's the situation in America, anyway. That said, what's your total flight time?

helldog
16th Feb 2007, 10:18
Not enough it would seem! Have you seen the way minimums on type have been dropping in recent weeks, some people now taking guys with no time on type, but want a minimum of 1000TT. I would do a TR if I could afford it, I think it is a good time to go down that route.

An2
16th Feb 2007, 11:27
There's a h*ll of a lot of people out there, unemployed, with the bare rating.
...and with every day that passes, TRTO's are grinding out even more zero-time-on-type guys and girls. So competition isn't likely to ease up. Quite the contrary.´

Oh,...almost forgot. Eaglejet have just realized this and is now charging a "mere" 32'000 dolares for the 300 hrs with Royal Air Maroc. Looks like everyone but the pilots are making money, at the moment. :ugh:

Xelcia
16th Feb 2007, 14:30
I'm afraid I'm one of them, just in that situation, seems tough to get that first job landed, but will keep going at it till I succeed :}

- Xelcia

invisiblemoon
16th Feb 2007, 19:26
Type rated on the 737 for one year (300 TT, without hours on type). Unable to secure a job position, now flying turboprop aircraft ....

dartagnan
16th Feb 2007, 19:54
i would not venture my self on a type rating if no job after.

the type rating is hard,and very costly...

I have seen young guys with 400-500 buying themselves a t/r with no job guaranteed.

I know 2 guys(low timer) who did their type on the 737, and still no job after 6-9 months.

helldog
16th Feb 2007, 22:18
I for one think that it is dead wrong to tell a low time pilot(BTW I am not low time) That if they do a TR there is a 'good chance' that yhey will get a job. Ok fair enough no one actually tells you that you [I]will[I] get a job, but its giving people false hope, if they know the jobs are not there. Hell they might as well mix up some sugar water, sell it to terminally ill people and tell them that it 'may cure you' Fine some people can throw away that kind of money, its just sad for the guys that have overstretched their budget and ended up with nothing.:ugh:
This is from an advert on this website.
B737-3/4/500 Type Rating Training Courses
100% of successful type-rated students now employed with airlines.
Now I am not a legal boffin but to me that says....100% of successful, type rated students now employed, ie the ones that have been successful (in finding a job) are now employed.
It would be more promising if it said 100% of students who have successfully completed a type rating with us are now working with airlines.
Maybe I am looking to deep into the meaning of the words here. You can probably tell from my last post and this one that I am :confused: confused, damn it someone just tell me is it a good idea to self fund a TR or not.......................YES OR NO?
Beer........check
Rant on PPrune....check
Shutdown checklist complete.

G-Dawg
17th Feb 2007, 13:25
yeah guys you need to be careful when going down the type route, it's very hard to get a job with no hours on type, very hard indeed. There are companies such as Gecat that seem to be better than others in helping you find that first job, but there in the minority. Unless you have something lined up thats going to give you a good level of experience on type then think very hard before taking the plunge. Eaglejet have been offering line training courses for some time now, but the waiting list is long and unreliable, you can be waiting 2 months or 2 years...and they'll always say...next month..next month...not knocking it, just another aspect to consider.

cessna310
17th Feb 2007, 14:59
hi,

Anyone know about best place to start A320 or B737 Type rating and 100 line training.any help would be appreciate.

Regards,
cessna310

scroggs
17th Feb 2007, 16:10
How many B737 type-rated pilots are there?

Thousands. Literally thousands.

Scroggs

ianpa
17th Feb 2007, 22:37
Scroggs Surely not thousands. I certainly hope not

Vortex Thing
17th Feb 2007, 23:32
Well there are over 5000 737s built and at least a few hundred in GB so probably thousands isn't a bad guess. We have at least 10 pilots per aircraft.

I think that WWWs firm has similar so yep thousands seems very likely. Go and get an A320 rating if u have the choice.:O

boogie-nicey
21st Feb 2007, 16:42
Why the a320 over the venerable b737?

caughtoutinthecold
23rd Feb 2007, 10:11
Hi, In my opinion its certainly a good idea to get the type. I was doubting everything when I got the TR back in 2005, I was jobless for 1 1/2 years after but now Im flying the 737. Although just relating to the most recent posts, seeing how in europe at the moment the A320 is definitely the prevailing type, perhaps the A320 (though more expensive) would be the better choice?

COITC

Vortex Thing
23rd Feb 2007, 23:31
Nothing against 73 i was my route and glad I made it but their are loads more jobs on A320 and loads less spare pilots with the rating as it is more expensive.

If I had the choice and was about to choose which TR to get without an offer pending I would have gone with A320.

Good luck whatever you decide