PDA

View Full Version : Past Equipment for a Cathay New Hire

thepotato232
15th Feb 2007, 19:10
I'm hoping to get hired on with Cathay Pacific as an SO in the future. I'm familiar with the accepted flight hour requirements, but my questions have to do with the aircraft that time is logged in.

I currently work for a small airline in the U.S. that operates the Beechcraft 1900D twin-engine turboprop, with a max. takeoff gross of about 8000 kg. I also have an FAA ATPL with type ratings on the 1900 and the 737 (no actual 737 time). When I try to get on with CX, will my 3000 total / 2500 turbine / 1000 command time be enough to make me competitive if virtually all of that time is in the tiny 1900? Will my type ratings be at all relevant to the interview board? As a 24-year-old at my planned time of application, will my experience be "commensurate with age," as they say?

I'm hoping anyone here with experience will be able to point out any other unforseen major defects in my employability, besides my being a crass and ignorant Yank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

kmagyoyo
16th Feb 2007, 00:32
Hi Mate,
Over the years plenty of Guys and Girls from the Beech 1900 operator in NZ have got into Cathay as SO's; I don't think you have to worry about the machine your flying.
Dare I say it; at the rate CX is hiring that will be plenty of experience to be competitive especially for your age.
Kmag (awaiting start date....)
ps Unless you had hours on the 737 I can't see the rating being of any real value... they may even ask you why you did it?!?

Cedar Tree
16th Feb 2007, 01:25
You'll have a great shot getting an interview with that experience, so keep the updates going into CX.

Moving along into a regional airline (RJ, EMB, etc) will really increase your odds of landing a job with CX, a lot of the S/O's hired from the US lately are in this role as Captain or F/O.

GOOD LUCK!

thepotato232
16th Feb 2007, 05:38
No real time logged on the 737, I'm afraid. I actually picked up that rating before I started flying the 1900. I know that some carriers look at someone with a turbojet type and say "Well, at least we know he's trainable..." but it seems Cathay is sufficiently confident the people sending in the CVs know what they're doing. While we're on the subject, is there any preferential treatment given for 747-200 or -400 type ratings with no line experience on the plane? That sort of thing is a big deal for some companies, an utter waste for others...

Regarding moving up into an ERJ or the like, that's actually the big choice ahead of me. In the U.S., time in turbine aircraft is considered pretty evenly, be it in a turboprop or a regional jet. The company I work for is a scheduled "regional airline" according the regulations (FAR 121, if you're familiar with that). Of course, if there are people getting hired directly from 1900s in NZ, my current path would probably be the most expedient way of getting in. So I guess the question there is if I would be better off in Cathay's eyes flying Captain on the 1900 with my current company starting late this year, or jumping ship ASAP to fly right seat in an RJ or a 737 and trying to get into CX with little or no turbine command time.

I really appreciate the advice, guys! It's good to know that the 4:00am calls from scheduling on my reserve days are really getting me closer to a goal.

kmagyoyo
16th Feb 2007, 21:51
Re the 747 rating.... save your cash! I think all it would achieve is them asking you allot of REALLY hard questions in your interview :uhoh:

By all means 'invest' in a couple of hours in the 747 sim prior to your 2nd interview but a rating would be a tad excessive.

PS Check your email re the rest.