PDA

View Full Version : helicopter flying costs

goldwatch
15th Feb 2007, 14:47
Hi all
Having recently retired in the UK I am emigrating to ZA. This will liberate some funds that will allow me to realise a lifelong dream of owning a helicopter.
Before I send a check off to old Frank in Torrance, could anyone give me an idea of the costs of operating an R44 in ZA.
I'm expecting to do around 100hrs a year. The killer in the UK( apart from writing the initial check) has always been the huge insurance costs and fuel prices.
Many people here also leaseback their machines to operators, is that something that happens in Africa? Are there many maintenance organisations?
Finally, and obviously I'll get some professional advice on this, are there any taxes or duties to pay if importing a machine or is it better to buy a machine out there.
Any tid bits of information kindly received!
GW

CJ750
15th Feb 2007, 16:29
WHY OH WHY COME TO THIS CRIME RIDDLED CESPOT. ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT SOMEWHERE YOU WONN'T BE DONE IN

OH SORRY THERE IS NO CRIME HERE....................:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

madherb
15th Feb 2007, 17:35
Bad day CJ750? Chill, have a cold one, bask in the sunshine and relax. Things can only get better........

Goldwatch, there are plenty of opportunities here, methinks. Contact this man: Andre Coetzee

[email protected]

He should be able to help.

:ok:

RunwayBlueOne
17th Feb 2007, 14:44
Goldwatch you can look forward to some of the best flying of your life in South Africa- especially in one of Franks machines- Question is where you plan on settling? as this will normally dictate who will lease the R44 when you are not using it- and it may be a charter company or more than likely a flight school. In Cape Town I would recommend Base4 Helicopters for further advices. In any case Good luck and a warm welcome to South Africa.

goldwatch
18th Feb 2007, 11:36
Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping to end up in the Stellenbosch area but nothing final yet.

Looked at Base 4's website - I think I've flown with Frank on previous visits - a while ago now.

What the price of AVGAS out there? Availability ok?

RunwayBlueOne
18th Feb 2007, 19:51
If you plan on ending up in the Stellenbosch area just be forewarned that the old boys aeroclub is not particularly fond of helicopters and they were actually banned for a while. Now that Working on Fire is based there, the helis are allowed again, but lots of noise abatement regs, rules etc. Nothing you cannot work out I am sure. The demand for any R44 lease will in all liklihood come from any of the companys at the Cape Town Waterfront or at FACT proper.
I flew with Frank H-P a while back and he's brilliant.
There were shortages of Avgas but they have been replenished.

B Sousa
19th Feb 2007, 03:01
"Having recently retired in the UK I am emigrating to ZA."

Helicopter or not, your in for one big Surpise..........Enjoy