PDA

View Full Version : IMC Exam

robinpiper
15th Feb 2007, 11:53
Anybody sat a IMC written exam recently?

Got any advice of what questions or areas were covered?

Been about 10 years since I passed the PPL written exams are the question based entirely on IMC theory?

Thanks in advance

S-Works
15th Feb 2007, 14:31
Buy a copy of the IMC confuser. The questions cover a multitude of areas, weather, air law, nav, avionics etc.

Also very good is the Oxford CBT IMC course material.

Callsign Kilo
15th Feb 2007, 15:38
Did mine last year and a large portion of it is done with a 1:500 000 chart where you have to plan a route using Navaids. You are given various winds and levels and you have to calculate QDMs, QDRs and DA's. Also remember for an IFR MSA add a 1000ft to the VFR MSA as that was something which came up. Some questions are also asked on an approach plate. Think my exam had an ILS plate for Coventry.

Good Luck

TurboJ
15th Feb 2007, 15:42
Have a look at airquiz.com as well. Students tell me its pretty good for practise questions
TJ

Three Yellows
15th Feb 2007, 17:44
I agree, the IMC confuser is the thing to get. If you can do all the questions in that, you won't go far wrong. As has already been mentioned, quite a lot of the test is based on filling out a plog. The papers are written with a particular edition of the chart so your club should give you the old edition of the chart. They all seem to be based on the Southern England half million, so if you live in the north and not familiar with the southern chart it may well be worth asking your club and mugging up on it.
Good Luck.

IO540
15th Feb 2007, 17:53
The hardest thing is that you have to dig out the silly circular slide rule again, and learn how to use it. This is mandatory.

They give you an out of date chart which you need because the mag variation assumed in the exam paper is from that old chart. They are looking for answers to within 1 degree, so plenty of ways to get caught out.

gcolyer
15th Feb 2007, 20:13
FAA = CX2 allowed

JAA = E6B only (for exams and study)

As soon as I had my Poo coloured license in my hand I bought a CX2. the only thing I use the whizz for now is cross wind component.

IO540
15th Feb 2007, 21:37
AFAIK the circular slide rule is mandatory for all CAA/JAA exams in the PPL and IMCR. It certainly was for mine. No calculators allowed either.

The FAA doesn't require it; they just ban anything that has a memory unless the memory can be verifiably cleared. Given the usually limited IT abilities of the supervisors, this rules out anything much beyond a simple calculator.

robinpiper
16th Feb 2007, 12:14
A whizz wheel you must be joking.

Oh well better hunt one down on ebay! Going to need the instructions with it coz I ain't got a clue how to use one anymore.

I can fault America for a lot of things but at least they are not afraid to take a step forward instead of living in the past!

Let hope our intergration with EASA can bring us some sensible changes, but then again will it be bye bye UK IMC??

Thanks for all the advice :ugh:

Anonystude
17th Feb 2007, 00:08
To all those claiming the whizz wheel is mandatory -- I took my IMCR theory exam about a year ago, and did the whole thing with MDR. Passed, too, so I don't see how it's 'required' by the CAA... :}

IO540
17th Feb 2007, 16:20
It was mandatory in 2002/2003, for sure, and no calculators allowed.

I'd like to see this stupid pointless gadget dropped altogether, and the time saved (a good few hours) used towards relevant stuff, like teaching about GPS.

This is especially so since there is no mandatory / structured ground school in the PPL, so essential knowledge gets squeezed in wherever it can be fitted in, or sometimes not at all.

gcolyer
17th Feb 2007, 18:51
It was mandatory 2005/2006 as well.