PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of UK PPL(A) to JAR-FCL

GliderGuider
14th Feb 2007, 20:48
I have held a UK PPL(A) for 8 years and I am thinking of converting to a JAR-FCL. The previous CAA form for this was SRG\1104 but this has been superceded by SRG\1190 on 12th Jan 2007 and there is a new check-box on the form that asks: "I confirm that I have demonstrated the use of radio navigation aids to the satisfaction of a Chief Flying Instructor which has been certified in my flying logbook....".
I have all the original PPL exercises 'signed-up' in my logbook but I don't have an explicit signature against any radio nav aids demonstration.
Has anyone filled out this form and if so what did you do?
I have emailed the CAA and await their response.
GB

Lucy Lastic
14th Feb 2007, 21:20
What on earth would make you want to convert from the UK PPL(A) which is 'for life' or at least until the medicos take it away from you, to go for one where every 5 years you hand over a wodge of dosh to have it for another 5 years?

GliderGuider
14th Feb 2007, 21:34
I have a problem with colour perception and because of this, my UK licence is valid only in the UK. If I want to fly in another country, I have to get their permission in writing. I did this with France - no problem, but some other countries are less willing to grant permission without filling out reams of stupid paperwork. JAR-FCL licence gets round this.

And I intend to also keep my UK licence by keeping my SLMG rating on it and just transfer the TMG rating to JAR.

GB

Whopity
14th Feb 2007, 22:34
In order to hold a UK licence you have to have a JAA medical. How can changing the licence make any difference to the medical? If it has a teritorial restriction because it doesn't meet the JAA standard it will presumably still be there!

Mark 1
15th Feb 2007, 12:03
Would it not be worth trying to get the "UK only" restriction lifted?

Under JAR rules, someone who is classed as unfit due to being "colour unsafe", may be assessed as fit to fly, day-only, by their national AMS (JAR-FCL 3.345) - nothing about territorial restrictions.

Fournier Boy
16th Feb 2007, 20:39
I am going through just this situation as we speak (type).

I've held an old CAA (SLMG) since 2001, but now, as I want to get an SEP (to continue towards ATPL) I have to convert to a JAR FCL.

Under CAA rules an SLMG was either a fixed engined motorglider, or a retractable engined glider.

My only way to do it is to convert to a JAR FCL TMG and then add the SEP, all my flying is on TMG type aircraft, but because my old licence says SLMG, they don't want to convert it.

Its taken 3 months of picking over LASORS and other CAA publications to find that as long as a GFT and an NFT has been taken on TMG aircraft and that I hold 75 hours total, it is convertable. Only then will I have to do a flight "using navigational aids" before "suitable hours to pass a GFT on SEP".

The forms are a nightmare. I went down to the CAA and spent two hours talking to them as their website was no help. They've brought in some new forms at the start of the year that they had to print up whilst I was there.

A CAA to JAR FCL conversion, plus a change of rating (SLMG to TMG although technically its the same plane) set me back £235!!!

Shocking

Good Luck - my head still hurts from banging it on the desk.

Mike Cross
17th Feb 2007, 07:44
Since I started flying we've gone from renewable licences to licences valid for life and back to renewable licences.

The logic for the imposition of the changes somehow escapes me but I am sure the CAA could produce a voluminous and expensive report that would show a marked decrease in accidents. The part dealing with with the entirely incidental staffing and revenue requirements could of course not be published on the grounds of commercial confidentiality.

I trust FB that your incapacitating headache has been reported by your AME to the authorities so that they may commission research that will conclude that the only remedy is a complete change of Training and Licensing requirements and a reclassification of aircraft types.

StrateandLevel
17th Feb 2007, 07:57
but I am sure the CAA could produce a voluminous and expensive report that would show a marked decrease in accidents.
On the contrary, I think they would tell you that we are being good Europeans as required by Mr Blair and that it has nothing whatsoever to do with safety. The CAA is now a Business according to the part time chairman, but then he's an accountant who displays no knowledge of safety or aeroplanes.

BEagle
17th Feb 2007, 12:09
That's no way to talk about your boss!