PDA

View Full Version : Moda A only

Seagull61
14th Feb 2007, 20:21
Hi,
I posted this in the Private Flying forum and got some mixed response - both positive and negative, but thought i`d give it a bash here.
A flying colleague and myself will be touring around France in August in a C172 with Mode A only (negative Mode charlie). We plan to route more of less directly down to the south and then out West and north before heading back to the UK.
VArious replies on the other forum, indicate it should be okay but best to file a flight plan. Anyone able to tell me if this is the case or not?
Thanks

(Mods - if this needs moving back, then scrap this one!)

australiancalou
15th Feb 2007, 06:29
Hi,
In France when there's a rule, there's an exception...
So, even if mode A+C or S2 are mandatory in some airspaces, you can be granted to perform your flight in certain circumstances and with the authorization of the French Aviation Authority (DGAC).
The best way to prepare your flight and obtain all the informations is to contact them.
I'm sure they will be happy to answer to your request (Use simple words:O ).
Enjoy your flight in European's French gardens.;)

ATC Watcher
20th Feb 2007, 19:46
You can fly in France without transponder ( as mode A only is not valid anyway , you need mode C to enter class D airspace and TMAs.)
Advice :
Just avoid class D and stay below 3000 feet.

But check the new ICAO VFR charts due out on april 1st 07, there is a lot of new Class D TMAs ( i.e airports ). So check your destinations carefully.
And do not forget many small airfields are French only on R/T.