PDA

View Full Version : Koala for a King

Heliport
14th Feb 2007, 10:40
Koala for a King
AgustaWestland is pleased to announce the delivery of an A119 Kola to the His Majesty Leruo Molotlegi, King of the Royal Bafokeng Nation in South Africa.
The aircraft will be used for the personal transport of His Majesty Leruo Molotlegi and other VIPs.

The Royal Bafokeng occupy an area of some 2,000 km2 in the South African North West province, approximately 200 km west of Pretoria. The Royal Bafokeng are members of the Setswana-speaking indigenous community.

Head Turner
14th Feb 2007, 16:18
A suitable helicopter for a King and his family. I just wonder who paid for it as I was under the impression that the Africans were not so well heeled as, the Irish for example. Beats a Rolls Royce well into second place as the vehicle to be in when His Highness visits his people. I would be interest to see the colour scheme.

Flying Lawyer
14th Feb 2007, 17:27
I just wonder who paid for it I assume they did.

The Bafokeng kingdom is a mineral-rich area in the North West Province about half-way between Jo'berg and the Botswana border. (Not far from the naff Sun City which some Brits seem to like so much.)
It has significant chrome reserves and the world's second-largest platinum deposits.
In or about 2000, they won a 10-year legal battle for royalty payments from a platinum mining company which amounted to about R827million in 2002 and also have a substantial shareholding in SA Chrome and Alloys. The Bafokeng have used the income from mining to build schools, roads, clinics and other social infrastructure such as a major sports complex.

FL

Bravo73
14th Feb 2007, 17:39
I'm surprised that he couldn't afford a second engine then... :}:E

Hidden Agenda
14th Feb 2007, 20:56
I had the pleasure of flying HM last year. Seemed to be a very progressive type... an architect by training...a heli-pilot himself, so it is probably for self-drive.

Head Turner
15th Feb 2007, 11:35
My guess is that he will upgrade to a twin eventually. However, I would back his decision to get an A119 Koala as they have wonderful hot and high performance and can go long distances with that super fuel load(5 tanks)

privatepruner
16th Feb 2007, 18:45
Bravo 73 !

He's is obviously a bit brighter than you then ...

UPGRADE to a twin indeed???

:ugh:

Bravo73
16th Feb 2007, 20:43
He's is obviously a bit brighter than you then

Erm, he obviously is brighter than me because you've got me confused. :confused:

What are you going on about, privatepruner?

The Nr Fairy
17th Feb 2007, 05:06
How many engines on an A119 ? And how many on a twin ? Is that clue enough, privateppruner ?

Head Turner
19th Feb 2007, 10:30
I must admit Nr Fairy you have me confused as well.
The A119 has one PT6 and the A109 series have two engines. You response to Bravo73 reads as though think that the A119 is a twin.

Bravo73
19th Feb 2007, 10:48
Head Turner,

I think that we've got several cases of mistaken identity in this thread.

Like you and I, NR Fairy knows exactly how many engines both the A119 and A109 have. It seems as if privatepruner (who I suspect we won't hear from again) doesn't.

And if you are still reading this, privatepruner, who was it who made any mention of an 'upgrade'? Certainly wasn't me... :oh: