PDA

View Full Version : Darwin training

aircabbie
13th Feb 2007, 22:46
Hi guys ,

Looking at doing my CIR with Darwin flying school , Anyone with any comments on this it would be greatly appreciated . I will be in Darwin anyway so i figure i might as well do it there rather then heading to Johnsons or a east coast outfit.

cheers

nohumbug
14th Feb 2007, 02:23
unless you have infinite resources, ie $$ and patience ...go to johnsons or the like.

AerocatS2A
14th Feb 2007, 12:42
I friend of mine did some circuits at Darwin a couple of years back. They did three circuits and it took over an hour and cost $270.00. The reason it took so long is that they kept getting shuffled around by ATC to make way for RPT aircraft.

I think you would find it cheaper and better to go to Johnsons.

Flying Bear
15th Feb 2007, 17:39
There is really no training capability in Darwin - the flying school is very small, has one VFR only C172 and when you ring them they rarely answer the phone (you usually get a tinny computerised answering service!).

If they are there, you will be lucky to speak with the one junior grade three instructor that is there, because the CFI (and only instructor there with any experience at all) will tear off at the drop of a hat to fly something with two engines at the charter company he usually works for and the students take second priority...

KnifeEdge
16th Feb 2007, 00:18
I have been in Darwin for a long time. I have gone through it myself and seen a lot of people get messed around.
Just recently I was asked by a friend whether to perservere with DFS or go south to Johnston's. I immediately told him to go to Johnston's. You get there, they tell you what is needed, you do it and its done. He had been messed around by DFS. He did and it went like clockwork - no hassles.
The problem with DFS is that they just cannot cope with the training requirements and you will invariably end up being very frustrated and taking a lot longer than needed.
Take the week or so, go down south and save yourself a lot of money, time and hassle.
KE