PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATPL getting a UK corp jet job ?

IO540
13th Feb 2007, 09:25
A friend of mine is an FAA ATPL, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P, IA, you name it.

He's looking for a job in corporate jets, but is finding that most of the operators (even, to my suprise, being an N-reg FAA PPL/IR pilot so knowing da rules) are after a JAA ATPL. Now, he's got a wife and a kid and a job and doesn't want to set aside a couple of years for the exam swatting.

Is this really the case?

I hope to check this forum regularly for replies but a PM might remind me - thank you.

Flying Mechanic
13th Feb 2007, 15:26
yep its a hard job to get flying N reg in europe......I tried a few years ago. You really need to know people , like the owners/pilots. Theres a few N reg Lear 45's flying around europe. and a Falcon 10 based in Cambridge.

LRdriver II
13th Feb 2007, 15:31
Or find somebody that operates on VP-reg... just a validation of the FAA ticket and you are good to go (workpermit/nationality not withstanding)

727 exec
13th Feb 2007, 16:00
Falcon 10 long gone I'm afraid...it's a CJ now.

You don't mention what sort of experience your friend has. Many Corporate Operators nowadays need a minimum flight time (2000 hrs) and ideally some jet time before their insurance provider will allow them to be a co-pilot.

Difficult...sorry:hmm:

B200Drvr
13th Feb 2007, 18:01
and a type rating, N reg drivers have to have a type rating done at an FAA approved facility for both seats on N reg turbojets. (unless of course it is single pilot) (and the P2 rating is not a full type rating but costs the same but you dont do the checkride) Yeabutnobutshuddup
So unless he has got a fair amount of jet time and/or a specific rating, I think he is going to struggle.