PDA

View Full Version : Asthma & the RAF

mattd_C152
12th Feb 2007, 21:54
Hey folks,

bit new to all this, i am about to both graduate with a civil engineering degree and hopefully comlete my PPL. I am very intrested in joining the RAF as a pilot, however i have heard mix reports regarding there attitude towards asthma. I have been clear for at least 5 years if not longer and it wasnt that bad to start with. Could any one enlighten me?

Regards

Matt

gingernut
13th Feb 2007, 08:03
Try a search, I suspect this has been covered before.

Are you sure you actually had asthma?

TommyOv
1st Mar 2007, 15:47
Hi Matt

This has been covered in a few other threads...try the mil aircrew section.

The RAF's policy towards asthma is pretty strict: if you're clear for 4 years (I believe) you're eligible to be considered for groundcrew, but not aircrew, which requires that you have never suffered from asthma.

There is a bit of a grey area though, which seems to vary depending on how much the RAF need pilots. If you're able to prove that any symptoms were caused by discrete chest infections every now and then and you weren't on medication long term, then you could be in with a shot. Your best bet for info is your AFCO though. It's a pretty hard battle to win though...it's what they got me on....

lineupandwait
2nd Mar 2007, 04:36
This may not help you but I have to let other people know, if they Asthma and want get off medication forever check out Buteyko. It's usually a five day course that teaches you to breath corretly, it's hard work but the results are amazing, 90% of people get of their medication.

Hawk
2nd Mar 2007, 08:38
Hello Mattd
Over 300 posts on asthma in Medical forum
Try here :
http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1034964