PDA

View Full Version : Problem running 16 bit prog in Win XP

BOAC
12th Feb 2007, 16:54
Suddenly, today, wowexec.exe and a 16 bit prog are not running, but are hanging on my machine. I am having to shut them down in Task Manager.

The programme (Jeppview) runs fine on W2000 on the same machine.

Anyone any ideas what may be wrong? I have virus-checked wow...

Added: Set also in W2000 compat mode in XP and still will not run.:confused:

If I shut down the machine, up pops the programme splash screen.........................

vapilot2004
12th Feb 2007, 18:21
Master Boac, perhaps something here may help:
Troubleshooting NTVDM and Wowexec start up errors (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196453)

Good Luck!

BOAC
12th Feb 2007, 20:25
VAP - thanks for the reply - as reliable as ever, but I don't like my homework:eek:

If you would be so kind:

Sysedit ran fine. The first thing I note is that win.ini changed on 6/2/07 and I have not run Jeppview since that date. The first line is

;msconfig ; for 16-bit app support

Should there be a semi-colon there?

Saab Dastard
12th Feb 2007, 22:46
BOAC,

IIRC, semicolons are used to comment out lines in the *.ini files (good grief, it's years since I looked at these!), while square brackets indicate section headings.

Also, in XP (and 2K), the *.ini files are only present for backwards compatability with 16-bit apps, and the first line (by default) is ; for 16-bit app support

Quite what ;msconfig is doing, I know not - but it isn't functional with a ; in front of it.

SD

vapilot2004
12th Feb 2007, 23:01
The semicolon is indeed a comment character and the second should not affect anything.

Wowexec and NTVDM will stay loaded after called by 16bit software. This is normal. Both should appear in the task manager process list. When this problem occurs, is Jeppview listed in the process and applications tab of the task manager?

If it is, try highlighting Jeppview and clicking the Switch-To button. (You may have already tried this). Alternatively you could try ALT-Tab to see if the window is hidden.

A shot in the dark:
Rename Win.ini and kill the wowexec & ntvdm processes and try Jeppview again.

Second shot:
Reinstall Jeppview in a new directory from XP.

Sorry about the earlier assignment, BOAC and Good Luck! :O

BOAC
13th Feb 2007, 08:06
Appreciate your time, guys, and I promise to try my homework:)

Answers:

Jeppview never makes it now to the applications column: wow and jepp show as processes displaced slightly to the right with no PID and have to be manually 'killed'. No hidden screens. I do not have a 'switch to' function in TM. Tried the rename and had already done the re-install 'in foreign parts' routine.

I have tried editing win.ini to replicate the (working) W2000 version, as I have also noted the media file associations have gone squiffy too in XP. No result:{

Out of interest, on restart as I said Jeppview 'splash' appears with a message box saying 'readreg.exe' failed to initailise as the system is shutting down. Any clues there?

I have achieved the Jepp task I needed via W2000 (thank the Lord I have a dual boot!):)

vapilot2004
13th Feb 2007, 08:46
Perhaps a look at your Windows Update history via Add/Remove Programs - check the updates box and then see if something was installed after the last known good configuration of Jeppview would offer more clues.

If there is a correlation, a system restore to times past may allow the software to run and point to a possible explanation. (solution may be another thing entirely)

Out of interest, on restart as I said Jeppview 'splash' appears with a message box saying 'readreg.exe' failed to initailise as the system is shutting down. Any clues there?

Your observation is what led me to think that the program was running but not having focus. The readreg errors lead me to the conclusion that there is a bug within Jeppview that may be related to a Windows issue.

I am not much help here, am I?

Good Luck!

BOAC
13th Feb 2007, 11:15
So far so good - took the 'Restore' sledgehammer to it, back to the day before the win.ini file changed and it is working - for now.:) Thanks again both.

BOAC
16th Feb 2007, 13:44
Back to square one, I'm afraid. Prog ran once in XP and then it was the same, with the splash screen and regread.dll ( a Jepp file) popping up at shutdown. This regardless of restore point, updates etc. Still runs fine in 2000. Destined to be one of those 'msyteries', I guess.:ugh: