PDA

View Full Version : Piston Emerg Shutdown Cx

melchett
12th Feb 2007, 09:06
Have flown a fair bit in a piston single where the emergency shutdown check for engine fire was:
Mixture, Ignition, Boost Pump, Fuel Selector OFF.

Now flying the Be76 Duchess, where the equivalent check is:
Fuel Selector, Mixture, Boost Pump, Ignition OFF
Any real reason for the Fuel selector coming first in the twin, other than it works from right to left? Longer fuel lines?

Melch

The Messiah
12th Feb 2007, 09:53
Just a more logical flow sequence.

YesTAM
13th Feb 2007, 01:20
The list I was taught (and have unfortunately had to use) is fuel off, mixture off, mags off, masters off, F&*^ off.

Upwind.

Then reach back in for the extinguisher and apply liberally if possible.

Chimbu chuckles
13th Feb 2007, 03:32
I feel sure that 'prop feathered' should appear there too.:ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Feb 2007, 04:17
Jeeez Chimbu, there you go again overcomplicating things again..... :)

UTR

melchett
13th Feb 2007, 06:00
Ta,

Next question: If you choose not to lean in the cruise (LOP/ROP whatever), are you doing anything apart from wasting fuel?

M

FL440
13th Feb 2007, 06:35
yea, your going to burn alot more fuel!

Depending alot of the ambient temperatures that your flying in, you'd have a higher risk of fouling the plugs, however its a small chance given the higher RPM and operating temperatures.

:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Feb 2007, 07:16
In a Beech set up fuel injected engine (eg Bonanza / Baron) you will end up with very disconcerting rough running.

FTDK:cool:

Chimbu chuckles
13th Feb 2007, 09:32
I am just curious why you would choose not to lean in cruise?

AerocatS2A
13th Feb 2007, 10:00
Probably doesn't need to be said, but going hand in hand with wasting fuel is that you will have a higher burn than you may be expecting. Given the reliability (not) of some light aircraft fuel gauges, you may find yourself in an embarrassing situation where the noise stops at a time when your number of landings doesn't match your number of take-offs :{.

melchett
13th Feb 2007, 18:47
any idea what sort of percentage increase fuel burn in the Duchess, say at 24" 2300rpm?
The reason I ask is that school policy is to lean to 50-75degF ROP, which on one of the engines results in a mixture position not that far off from full rich anyway. I get the impression that without individual Cyl temp indication indication, using an EGT guage seems a bit hit and miss.

Fuel consumption aside, do pilots cause more damage leaning engines incorrectly than if they just left them alone?

Tee Emm
14th Feb 2007, 03:42
one of the engines results in a mixture position not that far off from full rich anyway

Maybe a badly rigged mixture control lever. Write it up if you dare...