PDA

View Full Version : Air France 772/77W

EDIspotter
11th Feb 2007, 18:47
Do all of Air France's 772/Ws have 32" seat pitch and PTVs in Tempo/Economy ?

Flying CDG/JFK on Tuesday.

CHIVILCOY
11th Feb 2007, 21:52
All the ones I have been on did.

EDIspotter
19th Feb 2007, 20:03
Have now returned from previously mentioned trip......

Tuesday 13th February saw me and the girlfriend heading across the Atlantic again, this time to New York.

Following our Toronto experience (late bags & fog aside), we went for Air France via Paris CDG to JFK, rather than Continental to EWR, saving ourselves a few hundred pounds into the bargain.

We arrived at Secure Airparks around 6.30am and made our way to the courtesy bus – we were not the only ones on board for a change. After being dropped off, we made our way inside the terminal, AF flight 5051 was not yet open for check-in, so we had a seat down near the BA check-in desks and waited.

Other flights checking in included a wrath of business flights, a few Welsh rugby fans and GSMs usual morning Barcelona flight – nice to see some Spaniards in the terminal. When check-in opened, we were second in the queue and got to choose our seats, 3E & F. We were also checked in for the 2nd leg of the journey and bags tagged “short connection”.

We headed off up to and through security (I was frisked again, every time at EDI) then on for some breakfast and to look out at the runway. About 8.20, we headed towards the gate after seeing our BAE146 touch down.

Gate 1-2 area was busy, with Cardiff, Exeter and Newark flights boarding, among others. At 8.45, our flight was called and we made our way down the stairs, along the walkway and out to the aircraft. We were greeted warmly by French and Irish FA's and sat down. Legroom was decent, although the seats and interior were a little worn looking.

We were late in pushing back, at around 9.15, after it appeared a mobile phone left on was interfering with comms to the tower. Taxi was slow, and it looked like we were 3rd or 4th in the queue to take off.

We lifted off smoothly, and headed down the east coast of the UK. A little turbulence, but nothing too severe. Breakfast service commenced, a pain au chocolat, escargot pastry and choice of drink – I chose coffee and the usual Air France Nescafe was excellent, with my girlfriend's tea looking and tasting poor.

Touchdown at CDG was smooth, and we had the usual long taxi to a remote stand next to the other Cityjet, Brit Air and Regional AF aircraft. We were bussed to the terminal, again taking forever, before making our way up the familiar steps of T2F to the bank of screens to check the status of flight AF6.

The flight was on time, and with around 35 mins until departure, we and at least 30-40 other pax from the EDI flight, headed towards the signs for T2E. Down stairs, we were greeted by another crowd, already waiting for buses to other terminals. A bus going to E arrived soon and we piled on board. Upon arrival at E, we climbed the stairs and though security, before heading towards our gate. At this point, the rest of the EDI crowd headed for the other side of T2E – were a Newark flight was leaving the same time as our JFK one – perhaps a few going there.

We saw a sign for our gate saying 18-25mins with a walking and bus symbol – I guessed this meant we would be bussed to our aircraft – no – after a very brisk walk, we got to our “gate” to find it was more or less just a door where buses stopped.... after boarding another bus, it took us to our gate, which was deserted, bad sign.... When we entered the gate building, we were told to run to the gate, which we did... only to be stopped at the gate by security staff for a “check” full manual search, shoes off, hand luggage checked, frisked (yet again) and at 13.10, five mins before departure, we were given out Visa Waiver forms and directed to the Boeing 777 were were to be travelling on. We boarded a near full plane, and quickly found our seats, just behind the wing in row 37. After the rush we were warm, and so was the aircraft, I looked above to open the air vents, but there were none... strange. After such a rush, you would think we would have taxi's straight away, but no, we waited until 13.40, one more pax boarded and luggage was loaded.

Eventually, we were pushed back and taxi'd out to the active. The 777's huge (if you've never stood next to one, they are massive, utterly huge) engines spooled up and we were off down the runway and up in the air.

The usual amenities pack was handed out, containing the headphones for the seatback TFT IFE. Sound on a couple of channels wasnt working, and this was annoying as I like their news/sport programme, so a film it was, The Queen.

Once we were up at 15,000 ft (seatback screen shows speed, altitude and map location) the cabin crew were up and about, getting ready for service. The one thing that amazes me about AF is the number of male FA's, they clearly outnumber the females on all flights I've been on.

Service started, and so did the turbulence. Serious ass out of your seat stuff, so the trolleys went away again and everyone was told to sit down and belt up. A few tried to sneak to the loo, but were soon ushered back to their seats. Around half an hour later, service recommenced, and we had the choice of diced beef with Pula and red bell peppers or stuffed sea bass with potato. We both opted for the beef, which was suprisingly tender and tasty, although it was preceeded by a little rice based salad. Dessert was that bloody fig tartlet again, and a broke it up and put it in my natural fromage frais. The Chinese chap next to me found this amusing and as he didnt like either the tartlet or the fromage frais, he followed my lead and seemed to enjoy it more.

Drinks service was good, full range, including champers, soft, alcoholic and fruit juices. As normal, outside meals, the drinks and snacks trolley was left next to an exit for you to help yourself.

We headed out across the south of England, chopped across Ireland and up towards Iceland, Greenland and then in from Canada and the cutely named Labrador Bay.

Prior to approach, we were served a little snack of pastry, cake and hot drink. The approach itself was amazing, as New York state had snow earlier, up to 100 inches in places. As we came to the city, we had a great view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline.

Touchdown was with one little bounce and we headed off towards the gate. As we taxi'd, I saw a Maxjet departing (love the colour of these 767s), loads of JetBlue, a couple of BA, two EOS parked up, another AF 777, countless Delta (including one in the special livery) and AA / Eagle.

As we disembarked, we walked up an airbridge, along a corridor and downstairs to immigration. Another European flight had recently arrived, and the queue of around 400-500 was serviced by nearly 30 desks. We were fingerprinted and photographed as our entry to the USA was approved. Baggage was on the carousel by now, and we collected out cases before heading to the Ground Transportation desk to request our Super Shuttle booking.

New York itself was fantastic, sightseeing was just amazing and our hotel, Carlton on Madison Avenue, was brilliant.

Finally, a few pictures to end this leg of the report...

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8392/turkishbd0.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4206/empirestate2jb0.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6060/empirestateki9.jpg
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8783/libertytm6.jpg

Gouabafla
20th Feb 2007, 13:17
I'd be interested to know if booze was as freely available on your flight back home? I fly with AF to various African destinations. On the day flights down, when I try and work, they seem very keen to ply me with ethyl alcohol in various forms. On the way back when I want all the help I can to snooze, they seem to restrict the stuff. I've considered stocking up on a few bottles of AF red wine on the way down and drinking them on the way back - problem is they probably wouldn't survive long!

flyblue
21st Feb 2007, 11:57
EDIspotter,

1) the male/female ratio of AF CC is around 35/65 (5000males, 9000 females).
2) Most of the IFE problems can be fixed with a reset. If it happened again, ask a CC.
3) Hate the bloomin' fig tarts myself. What's with the French and figs :eek: (although fig preserve is delicious with foie gras ;) )

Gouabs,
it must be a coincidence, since AF doesn't give any alcohol restriction either way. Maybe they were just concerned about some other passengers drinking too much?

CHIVILCOY
22nd Feb 2007, 07:29
flyblue
"it must be a coincidence, since AF doesn't give any alcohol restriction either way. Maybe they were just concerned about some other passengers drinking too much?"

They ain't too keen on serving you with a coffee either during a night flight!!

flyblue
22nd Feb 2007, 21:46
Really??? Thank you for letting me know, in so many years I hadn't noticed! :ok:

CHIVILCOY
22nd Feb 2007, 22:13
Really??? Thank you for letting me know, in so many years I hadn't noticed!

Coffee apart they are a fine airline to fly with, any airline which serves free Champagne in economy is alright in my book:ok: