PDA

View Full Version : 150 Hrs Planned IFR Requirement and Instructing

nomorecatering
11th Feb 2007, 12:19
As an IFR instructor, on an IFR flight, only the student can log IF time, but do the hrs count for the instructor as in command on an IFR plan for the 150 required for RPT Ops.

Howard Hughes
11th Feb 2007, 19:29
I would say YES, as the student is not in command as he/she does not hold a rating! Think about this, in an airliner the F/O may be flying and logging the I/F time, however the Captain is still logging command.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.:ok:

Deigs
12th Feb 2007, 22:06
Hi Guys,

From my logbook "When an instructor is giving dual instruction in actual conditions, both the instructor and the student may record the time as instrument flight time."

Makes sense, as the QFI is going to have to maintain a IF scan also in case the student's scan is too slow to pick up any parameter busts(height/HDG). Not critical in VMC though (as the safety pilot/QFI is supposed to be looking out the front anyway).

Deigs

Bula
12th Feb 2007, 22:42
Deigs your log book is wrong....

www.casa.gov.au

As an instructor you can not log IF time if your student is flying in IMC. I'll try and find the refernce CASA released a few years ago.

Howard Hughes
13th Feb 2007, 01:57
He didn't ask if he could log I/F time, he asked if it counted towards hours in command under the IFR, still reckon the answer is yes!!

These is a very strange rule, you are asked for this experience yet there is no where for recording it in your log book....:hmm:

JimmyReeves
13th Feb 2007, 09:58
If you are talking about planned IFR time, then the instructor logs it.

Bula
14th Feb 2007, 02:58
If Geigs is talking about maintaing his IF scan in case the students stuffs up..... common pull the other one HH :D

Howard Hughes
14th Feb 2007, 04:04
Bula, did you even read the original question?:ugh:

CAR 224 Pilot in Command.

(1) For each flight the operator shall designate one pilot to act as pilot in
command.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.
Note For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.
(2) A pilot in command of an aircraft is responsible for:
(a) the start, continuation, diversion and end of a flight by the
aircraft; and
(b) the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight time; and
(c) the safety of persons and cargo carried on the aircraft; and
(d) the conduct and safety of members of the crew on the aircraft.
(2A) A pilot in command must discharge his or her responsibility under
paragraph (2) (a) in accordance with:
(a) any information, instructions or directions, relating to the start,
continuation, diversion or end of a flight, that are made available,
or issued, under the Act or these Regulations; and
(b) if applicable, the operations manual provided by the operator of
the aircraft.

This clearly states only one pilot can be 'in command', as the student does not have an instrument rating, he cannot be 'in command' of a flight for which he is not rated and even if he was rated, he would still be ICUS. Therefore the Instructor can log 'multi-command under the IFR' for purposes of meeting the requirements of CAO 82.3 with regard to RPT in other than high capacity aircraft.

The logging of I/F is a totally seperate concept all together and I would agree that in that case, only the 'manipulating pilot' can log the actual time.

Cheers, HH.:ok:

Bula
15th Feb 2007, 10:47
HH.... not my point. My point simply was that that entry in his log book is wrong.. is it not? :mad: