PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL(a) + ATPL(h)

dxbpilot
11th Feb 2007, 11:23
Hi , I am currently doing my JAA ATPL's(fixed wing). I would also like to do my helicopter lisense at some point. Is it possible to take the helicopter exam also for the ATPL's? or do you need to have a heli PPL ? as I only have the fixed wing lisense.

thanks guys

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2007, 11:34
If you plan to do the modular route for CPL(H),then yes, you need a PPL(H).

However, if you already hold a PPL(A), then there are some exemptions from the PPL(H) exams and also hours required.

Cheers

Whirls

dxbpilot
11th Feb 2007, 15:59
So the CAA wouldn't have a problem with me sitting the JAA ATPL heli exams at the same time as my fixed wing exams with just the PPL(a) ?

thanks mate

helicopter-redeye
11th Feb 2007, 16:05
You would have had to have done the course elements for the ATPL(H) exams (POF/ parts of AGK that is H specific/ etc) and have a PPL(H) before taking the exams.

If you do not have the PPL(H) at this time then I think you just have to take the papers (and do the course) for the difference, not the whole lot (but uncertain..)

h-r;)

Good number of posts, which service do you require sir?

Whirlygig
11th Feb 2007, 16:48
dxb, I think you might be confusing the theory element of a licence with the actual licence itself (i.e. flying course and skills test).

If you are doing the modular route, you need to have a PPL(H) before you can sit the ATPL(H) exams i.e. a minimum of 39 hour flying course and the PPL(H) exams (assuming you have a PPL(A), you will be exmept most of the PPL(H) exams). That is what I meant by exemptions.

Then, once you have a PPL(H), you only need to sit (I think) Helicopter Principles of Flight at ATPL level.

These exams of course do not give you an ATPL but the theory credits. The commercial flying course that you sit for (H) will give you a CPL(H) only.

Cheers

Whirls

dxbpilot
11th Feb 2007, 17:01
I completely understand that the JAA ATPL exams are just exams, and I have to meet the hour requirements etc. I was hoping that while I did my fixed wing exams I would be able to do the Heli Theory of Flight aswell. I guess this is not the case, with out getting the heli PPL first. Which is a shame !

Do the fixed wing intergrated courses that do their ATPL exams with no prior flying experience have a exemption from the CAA to do this ?

helicopter-redeye
11th Feb 2007, 18:04
Yes they do, integrated is a 'different game' to modular.

h-r;)

wobble2plank
11th Feb 2007, 18:28
Just out of interest, why do you want both? Apart from being outrageously expensive, if you get a job with a high hour fixed wing operator they generally won't allow helo flying 'on the side' due to max flying hour restrictions. Many helo operators won't take a fixed wing qualified pilot for fear of them jumping ship the second the market takes an up-turn.

If you are thinking of throwing your job net wide then I would suggest concentrating on one or the other!

If it's helo flying for fun (and it is fun!) then do it when your fully 'fixed' qualified.

Trust me, I have both and had to let the ATPL(H) lapse!

Panther06
11th Feb 2007, 19:16
Anyone know the best way to convert FAA to JAA ATP? I am soon to be age 60 US Airways Captain and would like to fly in Europe from age 60 to 65. The schools in the U.S. don't provide very good info on the conversion.

thanks,

Ivan

Alex Whittingham
12th Feb 2007, 07:39
It might seem a silly question, Ivan, but do you already have the right to work in the EU or are you anticipating that an employer will sort that out?