PDA

View Full Version : To Be or Not To Be - IR'd

anonythemouse
11th Feb 2007, 00:39
For anyone out there from 'down under' (or in the know); Is there any work available for Twin Rated (Non IR) pilots in Australia and in particular Perth area? If so, any leads to rotary aviation company/job orientated sites would be appreciated. Have tried looking via google but can't find any sites worthwhile. May get to relocate to WA on the back of my Wife's ticket as she's a nurse and in great demand. I can't find helicopter pilot on the list of wanted trades, if only i'd followed my dreams and became a hairdresser!!!!! I apologise if there are a host of threads out there covering this subject but I couldn't track them down.

spinwing
11th Feb 2007, 01:50
Mmmmm .... Good Luck mate!
I suspect all the operators of twins would only really be interested in (new hire) blokes who have also got instrument experience as well.
You will have to try Bristow Australia, CHC Australia, Helicopters Australia, Jayrow Offshore and possibly Australia Helicopters to see if they are interested.
Also try to get the Friday edition of "The Australian" newspaper which carries an aviation supplement with some employment opportunities listed. Also you can try www.afap.org.au (Oz Federation of Air Pilots) .... usually on Fridays from say 1200 hrs Oz time to see what jobs might be listed .....
Cheers :O

SASless
11th Feb 2007, 03:13
Not sure the hairdresser qual would work....but if you were a cross dresser you would be in good shape, knowing our good friends and colleagues in OZ.

Granted the Kiwi's would jump for the hair dressing if you smelled of lanolin.

vpaw pilot
11th Feb 2007, 04:12
Well,

There are certainly a couple of Kiwis (not that theres anything wrong with that), and hairdressers (nttawwt) at our place, but hey, they are good operators, and they keep the livestock under control...:ooh:

gulliBell
11th Feb 2007, 04:19
Very few helicopters based in Perth (incl. perhaps only 2 or 3 twins), and they're all fully crewed with others lined up knocking at the door. It's not a question of whether being IR qualified or not, it's where you're at in the very long queue. The queue only becomes shorter if you've got an instructor rating, because the flight schools are busy and there's a chance you'd pick up some occasional casual work with them.

Or better still, if you just want a job, bring your whites, cricket bat and pads because more likely you'd get a game of cricket with your national side than flying a twin in Perth!

anonythemouse
13th Feb 2007, 05:25
If I decided to join the list of hopefuls in the Perth area what sort of money would I need to splash out on an IR? In the UK it's disgustingly expensive and prohibitive to most individuals (though there are a few with either no mortgage, no family to support or both who pay for themselves) and sponsorship is required from the big companies. Also, the the jobs that I have seen advertised require a CIR with 3 renewals, so, with no jobs accepting a virgin CIR where and what the hell is one supposed to do in the intereim period whilst 3 CIR's are completed? Seems a bit of a catch 22.

Twin Head
13th Feb 2007, 05:36
the 3 renewals make it hard, but i think it is only a seperation process. Rotor Lift are charging $1600.00 per hour in a twin squirrel in Hobart for cir training. A friend of mine just finished his there, great instructors. They provide accomondation at their premises with all the home mod cons. Guaranteed plenty of cloud and ice:D

gulliBell
13th Feb 2007, 09:26
Hey anonythemouse, re-read my previous post, there are no IFR twins based in Perth (except for the copper's BK, but you won't get in there, and the CHC Rescue 412, even less chance of getting in there). Suggest you direct your effort at getting an instructor rating, because that would get you much closer to the front of the job queue in Perth than an Instrument rating would.

Or for a guaranteed job for $80K, get your bus drivers licence (the bus company will even pay for your training).

anonythemouse
13th Feb 2007, 21:02
Thanks guy's for the responses, gullibell, can you put a link in for the bus driver job? I've spent the past 21 years being the main breadwinner cos UK nurses get paid crap salaries! To tell you the honest truth looking for an aviation job seems to be more a case of keeping to the life I know when I could/should be embracing change and looking for a chance to retrain in something different altogether and would have no objection to becoming a bus driver, bricklayer, plasterer etc. Let her have the pressure of being the main bread winner for once!:cool:

gulliBell
13th Feb 2007, 21:24
http://www.sctransit.com.au/employment.htm

dpale
14th Feb 2007, 02:17
Anonythemouse
You didn't mention if you were interested in a touring job, but if you are then Bristow is based in Perth and are hiring pilots for twins. Their minimum requirements are that you have passed the IREX. They normally hire F.O.'s and have a defined progression path. Good luck if you come to Perth it is a great city to live in.