PDA

View Full Version : VLJ - Mustang, Eclipse etc....

TooLowTerrain
10th Feb 2007, 21:55
Can someone please clarify,

These light jets that are soon to hit the shelves, I know that they are certified for single pilot operation for private owners but, I cant seem to get a straight answer on wheather these can be flown single pilot on a commercial basis such as Air taxi. They seem to be the way foreward if flown on a single operator but i cant see how you could profit from a 4 seat jet with 2 commercial pilots.....

Regards.

Dominic

Check 6
10th Feb 2007, 23:21
Yes, they will be certified under FAR Part 23. Single pilot commercial operations are legal in the US.

411A
11th Feb 2007, 04:41
Yes legal, but....the FAA will be very conservative with regards to single pilot for-hire ops...look for two pilot requirements for a short time.
Directly from a senior FAA guy, who is in the know...:}

whitespiral
12th Feb 2007, 10:14
Europe I believe requires 2 pilots. Single-engine types (like the Diamond DJet and the Cirrus jet) won't be able to be used for revenue service.

African Drunk
13th Feb 2007, 23:55
Turbojet a/c in uk operated on AOC are mandatory 2 crew. I have discussed this with lots of people and non of us see them working in uk market, for a little bit more cash get a CJ.

theWings
15th Feb 2007, 17:28
non of us see them working in uk market

Not sure I agree with you there. Maybe so with N-reg/private ops, but totally different for AOC work. If you have a large enough fleet to point the right a/c at the right mission, then why not use them? Not seen the real perf figures yet, but low occupancy short hops would work, no? I believe LEA, for one, plan to do just that and will probably make a bob or two.

In terms of costs, just tell the punters they're getting two drivers for the price of one ;)

chevvron
15th Feb 2007, 17:43
Well the first Learjets could only carry 4 pax + 2 crew, and they haven't done too bad.

con-pilot
15th Feb 2007, 18:13
Well the first Learjets could only carry 4 pax + 2 crew, and they haven't done too bad.

Well actually it was legal to carry 6 passengers on the Lear 23, but they really had to be real friendly. You could carry 3 on the couch, a very tight fit, one in each chair and side saddle on the potty behind the pilots. I carried quite a few 6 passenger loads back and forth to Las Vegas in the old days. Usually 3 couples, the 3 women would sit on the couch and 2 guys in the chairs and one on the potty.

The fun part came when one of the women had to use the potty.

Whoops
7th Nov 2007, 10:09
Can someone confirm whether the Mustang will be authorised for single pilot AOC ops in Europe?

Citation500
7th Nov 2007, 10:31
It won´t .
AOC ops under JAA requires 2 pilots and 2 engines ;-) always. No matter if its a Mustang, Eclipse or BBJ (or a PC12)

Phil Brockwell
7th Nov 2007, 11:17
Has anyone done the maths using CAA AOC figures for max range with 4 pax and 2 crew on the Eclipse and Mustang.

Phil

ERIK C
7th Nov 2007, 18:23
Will both VLJ pilots be required to have 700 hours, with 100 hours IFR and 30 (or was it 40?) hours ME PIC?

If so, where are the operators going to find these relatively highly qualified pilots and how much will they pay them compared to the 250-hour pilots in B737 and A320 right hand seats?

Just a thought. ;)

Chilli Monster
7th Nov 2007, 18:45
Has anyone done the maths using CAA AOC figures for max range with 4 pax and 2 crew on the Eclipse and Mustang.

Parking stand to the field at the end of the runway? :uhoh:

PorcoRosso
7th Nov 2007, 20:22
PC12 is definitely single crew, the 2 crea only applies to Jets.
PC12 AoC ops limited only by the single engine business, like TBM700

blablablafly
8th Nov 2007, 07:33
Type "Eclipse Aviation Critic" in google and you get a nice blog with people who love or hate eclipse... A bit like the house of commons you are pro or con ;)

whitespiral
8th Nov 2007, 20:29
Eclipse aviation critic is a good blog. Very anti-Eclipse and anti-Rayburn, but then again, quite understandably so. ;)

Herr Reisen
9th Nov 2007, 22:20
They used to call the Bonanza V Tail 'The Doctor Killer'. Wait for the VLJ's!!:ooh:

PorcoRosso
10th Nov 2007, 07:37
They used to call the Bonanza V Tail 'The Doctor Killer'. Wait for the VLJ's!!

Well ... Still, the Bonanza's did not too bad on the market ;)

I think that's one of the best GA aircraft I have ever flown ... Beechcraft, suffice to say :)