PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair / musical instruments

25F
10th Feb 2007, 16:39
Last time I flew Ryanair (end December) I was able to take a small musical instrument as cabin baggage in addition to my "book and sandwich" bag. I was just perusing the Ryanair website and it's pretty badly worded with regards to small instruments and I want to check that nothing's changed.

DrKev
12th Feb 2007, 23:39
In my experience, if the instrument will fit in the overhead locker and your other hand luggage is small, there is usually no problem. I have heard that Ryanair was one of the worst airlines to deal with in this regard but it's nice to hear something contrary to that. On one occasion (RAM, Paris-Marrakech) the flight was empty enough that I was told to bring my guitar, in it's flight case, onboard with me and stow it in the seat behind, rather than check it through with the rest of my luggage. That was in addition to a mandolin in small soft case as my hand luggage.

That said, whenever I travel with an instrument, I always call the airline first, informing them that I am travelling with an instrument and asking what my options are for that flight.