PDA

View Full Version : HK flying besides CX?

mrl979
10th Feb 2007, 13:53
Hi all!
My husband will be starting a job with CX in May, so we'll both be moving there. I am also a pilot, although my experience is in the charter/corporate end. Is there any additional flying in Hong Kong besides CX? I've read the Hong Kong Express post, and that was discouraging! Something about not hiring women? Are there any charter operators? Any HK based corporate departments? I'd like to continue flying, but if I must take an early retirement, I really won't complain!
How about flying for CX? From what I have seen, they seem to like the airline experience, which I have none. I don't have many hours (2500), not more than 10 hours in a jet, and limited turboprop experience (200). Would there be a chance of getting on with them as an SO?

Thanks again!
--mrl979's wife
:)

Cedar Tree
10th Feb 2007, 16:14
If you cannot find work in HK initially, why not find yourself some contract flying elsewhere to gain some more experience in an attempt to get on with CX? There are many operators out there that will offer you a rotational position with time off in HK. S/O's in 1996/1997 were hired with less than your experience, so keep trying!

mrl979
10th Feb 2007, 18:22
Cedar Tree, could you elaborate on the contract operators that offer time off in HK? This is the first I hear on this matter. I'd like to look into it!

Thanks

Cedar Tree
10th Feb 2007, 19:49
mrl979,

Are you American? If so, you can find contract work flying N registered aircraft outside of Hong Kong.

There are operators that a offer rotational work schedule, with days off in the location of your choice. One operator I know of is 30 days in the field, 30 days at home. This type of work is not all that difficult to obtain, but is usually 'specialty' flying.

Look into geo-surveying companies to start in your research, many of them operate jets and turboprops, operating American or Canadian registered aircraft globally.

Airline experience is not essential to get hired with CX.

svengoren
10th Feb 2007, 22:26
If you want your husband to keep his job steer well clear of CX.

There are heaps of airlines employing here in HK, pick anyone of them except CX

Harbour Dweller
11th Feb 2007, 03:11
What is your rational for saying that Sven?

Do you actually work for CX?

wongtaisin
11th Feb 2007, 07:59
Forget about Sven, Harbour Dweller.
If you can refer to Sven's past posts, you will find he is a CX agonist. Whatever about CX must be bad.

svengoren
12th Feb 2007, 04:01
Just stating the facts!

Over 50% of the cx couples have either resigned/ forced out/ been sacked

roll the dice

wongtaisin
15th Feb 2007, 12:43
Harbour Dweller

Just stating the fact that s/he is just a CX agonist.

Flying Mechanic
15th Feb 2007, 12:59
There is also Metrojet (G200/G450/G550), and Jet Aviation (C604/G450), plus Tag Aviation(falcon based in Shenzen),plus Air hong kong (a300 cargo),Hong Kong Airways....when u get to honkers knock on there doors and see.
Cheers FM

mrl979
19th Feb 2007, 01:50
Thank you all for the helpful replies! From the sound of it I should just wait to get to Hong Kong, and build my beer tolerance before I hit the Aviator :o)

Thanks again for al the PMs, you were all very helpful!
The boss lady