PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet FO salary after CTC?

mattd2k
8th Feb 2007, 18:30
Hi all,

This question is aimed mainly at CTC AQC graduates that might be lurking around still. :) I am hopefully about to dive into the AQC holdpool in the near future and am interested to know what salary you go on to as an FO with Easy?

I realise that the CTC ab initio guys go in on the cadet salary, in order to pay off the massive bond they have taken out, but for self funded people like myself, do you go in on a TRSS salary or is it DEP?

Here's hoping it's the latter!

Thanks, Matt.

Saffer
8th Feb 2007, 18:48
It's the latter (after 6 months) :E

jkl
8th Feb 2007, 18:56
Hi Matt,

As Saffer says you will go onto the full F/O salary currently £36,445 basic pay, plus sector pay at £14.18 per sector of which a reasonable portion is tax free (as per easyJet website).

Also you do not have a 90% restriction applied to your basic salary as new DEP joiners currently have when you finally do get your contract!

:ok:

mattd2k
8th Feb 2007, 19:32
Woohooo <does cartwheels> :ok:

Thanks for the quick replies. That is good news. Just got to get throught the next 3 weeks now, then on with the bathing suit. :eek:

jkl
8th Feb 2007, 19:45
Yep!
Don't get too excited just yet, you need to get through the AQC, swim around for a while, get paid £500 for the 2 months of the type rating & then £1000 pcm for line flying for 6 months before you finally get the contract!
It is hard going financially but a very good scheme & well worth it for the end result!
Best of luck
:}

jonesthepilot
8th Feb 2007, 20:25
So, is this a scheme that selects pilots by the size of their wallet and not their natural piloting ability?

ZBMAN
8th Feb 2007, 22:15
jones,
It isn't believe me. The AQC is quite challenging and once placed with the airline a very good standard is expected, otherwise you may get the chop...

mattd2k
8th Feb 2007, 22:18
jkl,
Thanks for your response. I am well aware of the barren financial period that awaits if I get through the course. Though this is nothing I am not used to having worked as an FI for the last 18 months. :\ Fortunately my wife is suitably well employed and able to support us. :E
jonesthepilot,
No this is not a scheme that selects pilots on the size of their wallets. If so I would never have been accepted on it. Your comment rings of bitter rejection me thinks. If you really don't have anything use full to say then I suggest you go back to the valley you crawled out from. :mad:

kriskross
22nd Nov 2008, 09:53
Yes, and there is definitely NOT a guaranteed job at the end of the 6 months either these days.

UP and Down Operator
22nd Nov 2008, 11:12
As far as I am aware, there is no new CTC guys left at Easyjet :hmm:

Only one working for them are those who managed to get a real contract before the econimical times hit us all hard. Rest have been shafted.

Stand to be corrected!!!

Husky One
22nd Nov 2008, 12:12
You can expect to do 6 months (summer) followed by a winter lay-off too. That's the way it will be until the industry gets short of pilots again :rolleyes:

preduk
22nd Nov 2008, 12:53
This post is over a year old, why did you bring it back up again?

bjkeates
1st Jan 2009, 21:14
All the information you require on salary can be found here (http://www.easyjetcareers.com/flight-crew-careers/pilot-careers/salary-and-benefits/uk-contracts.asp).

You will notice that the difference between direct entry and cadet salary is £12k. That £12k is returned to the bank directly as your bond repayments, not via your salary, in £1k monthly instalments. It does not form part of your taxable salary, hence 'tax free'.

I would have thought that after earning £1000 a month for 6 months, that I would have effectively already paid for my TR, so would I then be entitled to a full salary?

Maybe/maybe not, however there is the small matter of your CPL/IR/MCC/AQC/ATPL theory to be paid back...

gyni
2nd Jan 2009, 09:12
Being slightly pedantic, in fact the £1000 pm is paid into your bank account included in the net pay part of your salary. Your loan is then serviced from your bank account. The money doesn't go directly to the loan account as there are some guys fortunate enough not to have had to take HSBC's money in the first place. In effect, this arrangement means that you are actually taking home slightly more then a DEP FO as your £12k is net and not gross. As has been alluded to however, I would be more concerned about what CTC will be offering you as an eJ contract pilot at the moment rather than having a false hope of a permanent eJ contract.

Airbrake
2nd Jan 2009, 09:25
Easyjet has already stated that the majority if not all contracts for the coming year will be seasonal. You can expect to work the summer up to the end of September/October and then be shown the door. If you are going to do one of these schemes you will be far better off going to another company that is more likely to keep you on.

one post only!
2nd Jan 2009, 09:27
I think its more than potential to be dropped. The union report that there will be no permanent contracts taken on in 2009.

As the 12k on the cadet salary is tax free it works out slightly better than the DEP salary (as gyni says) so hopefully when you return you will come back on the cadet salary. It would be rather rude if they brought you back under TRSS!!!!!

The problem is I am not sure if EZY see the £1000 a month as paying for the TR. You are being paid by CTC while finishing the training. Although my argument would be that the course includes the TR and line training and therefore you shouldn't have to pay for it again and should join as a DEP. This then poses the question of whether you join the DEP hold pool and wait as TRSS guys sneak in first or if you get special treatment as you were only layed off for 6 months and come back on the cadet salary???? If things really don't pick up you might find yourself back for another 6 months stint on a Flexi contract anyway!!!

Lots of unanswered questions. Those of us in the union need to keep poking to try and look after you all but it sounds like they will be unable to do anything unless it presents a flight safety risk.

I don't think anyone will be able to give you acurate advice as there are so many variables. If you're not in already, join Balpa, and speak to the company council after "joining" EZY. Whilst being unable to represent you directly at least they can give you the best info as what to expect.

Sure you are already but just plan for the worst case and anything else will be a bonus. Good luck.

Airbrake
2nd Jan 2009, 09:41
Guys can we forget the idea that you are some how on a "tax free" £1000pm at Easyjet. As has been pointed out CTC are simply giving you your own money back, part of your big loan is so you can give yourself pocket money for 6 months!

one post only!
2nd Jan 2009, 10:02
I think people were referring to the loan repayment of £1000 a month paid when on a permanent contract, not the £1000 a month during training.

The loan repayment is paid as a -£1000 listed on the tax portion of your salary so tax free(??). Totally agree the other £1000 a month coming from CTC during training is taken from the huge loan anyway so you are paying yourself!

Iver
2nd Jan 2009, 14:19
For newhires, what is the likelihood of getting assigned the 737-700 out of Luton and Newcastle (I believe) vs. the Airbus at all other bases? Is Easy still hiring into the 737 or do most newhires go directly to the Airbus? Are newhires ever offered a choice?

Lastly, what are the most likely bases (say top 3) offered for newhires nowadays?

Cheers

Wellington Bomber
2nd Jan 2009, 15:53
Newcastle is now an Airbus base

BitMoreRightRudder
2nd Jan 2009, 16:42
Iver

I think there is some hiring on the 737 still but nearly all new F/Os in 2009 will be CTC cadets, whom the company have openly told our union will not be offered permanent employment, unless there is a drastic turn-around in global economics. As for having a say in which fleet you are on or which base you would like, well maybe in the golden summers of 2005/6, but not any more.

easyJet's stated intention for the future is to offer senior first officers "summer commands", hiring 6 month contract F/Os to fill the RHS in the summer period and then showing the contract F/Os the door to allow the "seasonal captains" to return to the right hand seat for the winter season.

CTC and ezy managers call it "Flexi-Crew", personally, and I know I'm not alone amongst ezy pilots from either seats on this one, I see it as the end of easyJet as a decent employer. I think anyone wishing to join, whatever their experience level, should bear this in mind before turning cartwheels of joy at the prospect of joining our ranks.

Iver
2nd Jan 2009, 19:57
Thanks BMRR,

Yes, it seems quite shady to me. While I might like to fly a 737NG or Airbus someday, there are clearly better operators out there in the world than Easy who don't resort to those sorts of "flexible" staffing methods. It's a pity. I have never heard BA need to do that - but then again, BA is in a different league and everyone knows it.

Cheers

THRILLSEEKER
2nd Jan 2009, 20:03
A quick Q:

Are the CTC cadets paid flying pay from EJ whilst on the initial 6 month £1000pcm from CTC?

Cheers

bjkeates
2nd Jan 2009, 21:00
Iver
No, it's £1k/month and that's it - no sector pay.

CCOVER
Insurance is covered by the final part of your CTC contract which you will receive after the AQC stage.

Gyni
Thanks for clarifying that.

Clara
Are you still here?

kick the tires
3rd Jan 2009, 08:58
BBMR easyJet's stated intention for the future is to offer senior first officers "summer commands", hiring 6 month contract F/Os to fill the RHS in the summer period and then showing the contract F/Os the door to allow the "seasonal captains" to return to the right hand seat for the winter season.

This is a proposal by the Company that is being negotiated and having safeguards added to by BALPA. You will of been following this on the BALPA forum, if you are a member. Then the membership, not the freeloaders, have a chance to vote on the proposals. So despite the Company wishing to 'state an intention', there still have many hurdles to climb yet!

Cara You are wrong. Load factors are up on last year, as are forward bookings. So save your condescending luck for yourself - YOU'RE the one that needs it! Keep trying to sell yourself.

kick the tires
3rd Jan 2009, 09:31
oh well if your non-easy employed b/f says easy is struggling, it must be true.

ps thanks for your very brief lesson on the economics of airline sustainability.

Ennie
3rd Jan 2009, 10:30
He joined Easyjet or CTC Clara?
They are different companies.

We still have new pilots joining through TRSS, I had one on the jumpseat last week on a famil flight. Direct entry or cadets, I would say look elsewhere because it could be a while for you.

CTC are doing less training than ever for easyjet according to a trainer I was sat with on a flight last week.

captplaystation
3rd Jan 2009, 10:30
Well we all know how sucessful ladies with "boyfriends" can be in Easy Jet.
" Are you sure you want me to disconnect both these CSD's ? "
or is that just an urban myth ? ;)

JustFlyin'
3rd Jan 2009, 10:48
That just made my day

Thanks captplaystation:ok:

leeds 65
3rd Jan 2009, 18:03
QAFPS - fantastic,genious,to hell with Peter Kay,GET UP ON THAT STAGE!ill buy a ticket anyway :D:D

Its seems to me(just by reading this forum) that ryrs deal is far better to easyjets.Easyjets just seems very harsh in the extreme- especially all this talk of 'seasonal ' stuff.

ryr you pay your 30k,on successful completion you have a guaranteed job(albeit as a contracter).they changed the contract recently so you get 40 euro/ph during line training after safety release.55 euro after line training and 70 euro after 500 hours.Thats pretty good for year 1.

Why am i saying this - well its not ryr v easy.I like both and i know people in easy.Im just baffled why people are clammering to get into a pretty harsh deal for year 1/2????

kick the tires
4th Jan 2009, 11:00
Leeds65 why people are clammering

Can you explain this, with your evidence, rather than your hearsay, or what you've read, from an anonomous poster on a public website!

BitMoreRightRudder
4th Jan 2009, 15:20
Hello kick the tires

Then the membership, not the freeloaders, have a chance to vote on the proposals.

True, we will, but from what I read on the forum we will be voting to have seasonal commands in favour of contract captains. In effect we are going to be accepting "seasonal" T&Cs for new captains promoted from within. And as for acting collectively and voting against either, I totally agree with SM on the balpa CC that there is simply insufficient backbone amongst the pilot workforce as a whole at the moment. All that dry powder is getting damp!

Its seems to me(just by reading this forum) that ryrs deal is far better to easyjets

I don't think it is better at all, but with the introduction of temporary commands, contract F/Os' etc ezy is heading rapidly towards being just as average a place to work as FR. FR's crewing costs are the benchmark for the ezy management, which is bad news for those of us already there and anyone who hopes to join.

Birdy767
4th Jan 2009, 17:04
Oh my gosh, where is this job going. What a joke!!! Flexi. Great I m happy , I m flexy. Next step, please... :D
I heard that Lidl and Aldi will start flying soon! :ok: